Reciever that can output Dolby virtual speaker?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bulldoze, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am looking for a reciever at the moment and one of the features I would like is to output Dolby Virtual speaker so that I can move into my new house and not upset the missus straight away by filling the room with surround speakers! I would like to have a virtual surround from 2 speakers for a couple of months before I can introduce a proper setup later on by stealth :)

Does a denon 1906 have this? I cannot find it on any spec list, or does anybody know a reciever that can?

2. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Closest thing is Phantom speaker to imitate a centre speaker. But thats not the same ofcourse.

Bearing in mind these amp's are designed to be used with 5.1+ speakers, it's fair to say it would be kinda pointless to add the feature, money better spent elsewhere.

As far as i know this is reserved for TV's and maybe some cheap home mini systems.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I've only seen it on teles.
    I'm assuming you're talking about virtual surround??
    It's rubbish, IMO and I really wouldn't bother mate.

4. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, bulldoze. :)

If you already have a receiver, you could try using Dolby 3-Stereo on it if it has that feature. That will give you the three front channels – or a phantom centre channel plus left and right channels if you do not currently have a centre speaker – but it will not provide rear channels at all.

There is a ‘speaker’ – which is really an AV receiver, too – from Yamaha that does the job of lots of speakers:

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/sound_projectors/?product_id=115

I’ve no idea how good it is, though! There is a bigger model, too. However, you probably may not want this anyway, especially if you already have an AV receiver.

Another suggestion would be to look now for satellite speakers plus a large(ish) subwoofer. It is possible to get decent sound – with plenty of punch – from small(ish) speakers. What about Mordaunt-Short’s Genie?

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/ranges.php?RAID=6

Or how about Mission M-Cube?

http://www.mission-cube.com/

The M-Cubes look pretty small and are available in a range of different finishes, which may sway a certain person… ;) Other forum members may be able to provide advice and have experience of more ‘room-friendly’ speakers. They are some posts of satellite speakers here. The Genies and M-Cubes obviously need a separate AV receiver, whereas the Yamahas above do it all.

I can understand the annoyance with large speakers for surround setups, and it would be great to have really small speakers that really work. Have a look at the above. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

5. bulldoze

bulldoze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the help, I guess I will have to wait till I can find a way of making the speakers look good (and hide the cable!) or look at the Yamaha

Cheers.

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    As far as I remember, these virtual surround gimmicks were found often in Aiwa all-in-one systems such as the NSX series etc.

I used to own one and it would project a more distant sound-stage using extra 3 drivers built into the top of each main speaker.

It was rather artificial though.

One solution is Yamaha do Sound-projectors (YSP1 etc) that is essentialliy a wide centre-speaker unit containing many speakers inside. It would reflect sound off walls and ceiling and give an apparently decent surround sound setup with excellent missus-factor.

Hope this helps.

Dan.