1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever set-up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scully91, Feb 23, 2005.

1. scully91

scully91
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Pioneer Reciever VSXC301 and am trying to set it up and connect it to a DVD Recorder, Sky Box, PS2, and TV.
    Im not very good at all this but have a scart running from the reciever to all 4 above mentioned items PLUS the guy in the shop gave me an optical cable to connect the DVD to the SKY (STB i believe is the correct wording).
    Firstly when i turn my TV off the amp still carries on as though the TV is on and i can hear all the sound. Is this normal?
    Secondly, when i select "DVD" on the reciever remote i cant get a TV picture but i can play a DVD ok and the picture is fine, once i stop the DVD its just a blank screen.
    I dare say there are other things i might ask but these are the most important ones and would appreciate any help anyone could give. If you need any more info im at alanscully@aol.com or can post on here, thanks. :thumbsup:

2. scully91

scully91
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    """The UK`s biggest and best Audio Visual home consumer electronics forums"""

Well thats what it says yet NOBODY can help me set up my home cinema......doesnt say alot for the guys running the forum does it ???
    :oops:

3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've just ordered one of these myself and am expecting to receive it before the end of next week. I'll let you know how I get on with setting it up. For the time being it would help if you could tell me how exactly you have everything connected - detail required - so that I may be able to help you..

4. rizingdamp

rizingdamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scully,

Yes you have turned the TV off but the audio is coming from your Sky box via the optical out. If you turn the sky box off also then the sound will stop. With regards not being able to get a picture...you probably need to change input source....ie from DVD to TV.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

5. scully91

scully91
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, the reciever has 4 scarts out of it and they go to tv, stb, dvd recorder, and ps2, then i have an optical lead going from the dvd to the reciever and thats it.
    Maybe that chap is right and i need to change the input from dvd to tv....so how is that done please?

6. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have bought this amp a while ago, I'll try and help you out.

The amp doesn't know if your telly is on or off, so if you turn off the telly, you have to turn off the amp too, unless you use some sort of clever macro remote code.

As regards the switching problem, the amp switches back to the input it was on before. So, if you're watching Sky, and turn the dvd player on, then it will switch source to the dvd. Turn the dvd off and it will go back to Sky.

You should have 4 Scart cables round back, 2 are inputs (the dvd and stb sockets). The Video socket can act as an input or output, but only outputs in composite, and the DVR/TV socket should go to your telly (RGB capable). If I were you, I would connect the Video socket out to the DVD recorder, as this is your only option even if it is comp only.

You have probably figured out that the six buttons at the top change the inputs for the amp. Other than that, take a look at the manual and change some of the settings in the System Setup. There are some switching options in there I think.

7. jmgraham

jmgraham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the manual states on page 12 to connect your dvd recorder to the dvr/tv scart then connect your tv to your dvd recorder. I have the vsx-c502 and this is how i have it setup.

Jim

8. scully91

scully91
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers people. Im drunk now so best left alone i think. I will have a go in the morning and come back to you. Thanks for your help its very good of you so please come back and take a look when i post again. Cheers.

9. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ^^^^jmgraham

Thanks for that. Not using a DVD recorder atm, but took my best stab at it.

Seems a bit of a bizarre way of setting it up to me, you can only record what you are watching. Anyway, thanks.