1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reciever question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by me_too, Jul 3, 2003.

1. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i just want to ask if anyone can recommend a entry level reciever for me :confused: . i would just like to hook up a DVD player, and a couple of other audio sources (pc/mini disk) so that i can play audio thought it and switch sources easly. i would just like to have a easy solution though i can seem to find anything that suits what i want. also i would need to be able to output the audio at a pre-amp stage as i have active speakers. i have looked at the pioneer VSX-C100-S, but can't tell if it is what i need as i can't see the rear of it. (i.e for inputs/outputs). thanks for any help if you can understand what i am on about! as new this side of audio!
    cheers
    me

2. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I would say something along the lines of a Yamaha 440 or maybe a Marantz sr4300. Both well rated and good amps imo.

Hus

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He needs the pre-outs. Have these entry level av amps got pre-outs?

YOu could look for a second hand processor, something like the Rotel 966.. try listening to it first though (I've had noise problems with one)

4. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What active speakers have you got?

6. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got a pair of Genelec 1031's and a 7070 sub

7. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sorry chap seem to miss the pre-out part. If the Marantz has them then i would definitely demo one of those. Either that or look around for a good second hand buy like Nathan suggests.

8. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to sound like an arse but i did

"also i would need to be able to output the audio at a pre-amp stage as i have active speakers"

:)

i agree with you about the marantz, will keep an watchful eye out for any good deals and somewhere where i can try one.
    cheers

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    :eek: Am I being stupid or is that several thousand pounds worth of audio.

Any reason why you want to partner them with a cheap AV receiver? What's your budget? Are you going to expand to a full Genelec 5.1 system or is it just stereo you're after?

10. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no it's not you being stupid :(

i have to say that factors beyond my control have forced me to buy them :rolleyes: , and as my budget is pretty much shot i can only afford a cheapish reciever. the plan for the moment is just stereo, but to upgrade to full 5.1 when the £££££'s turn up. so the reciever would need to need to be 5.1 for an upgrade.
    any reccomendations?

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a second hand, high quality stereo pre-amp? That'll do for stereo for now.. then maybe in the future look around for a AV processor.

12. me_too

me_too

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah good point. but i know that i will need a AV processor. i need to think about it. i will keep you informed and if anyone ese has any ideas, just say
    cheers

13. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm sure The SR 4300 has pre-outs for 6.1 you could also get couple of cheap surround speakers the whole lot will not break the bank probably £300 and you have a cheap surround solution to your problem.

Yes the Genelec’s may massively outclass the rest system but at the end of the day you can sell the kit when you have more money and you will not have lost out too much. IMO "a couple of months without music is a couple of months too much"

My opinion of Genelec’s is such that I think the Marantz would be the best piece of kit in the system, but that’s is just my opinion.