Reciever needs speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Roguey, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi, just an quick question - somewhat might sound stupid to some, but can an AV reciever be ran without any speakers connected to it? or even a lack, say like 3.1 or 5.1 on an 7.1 recievier. my dad said they need a set of speakers to load each channel, however im not sure about this...

many thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    I believe that in the old days of pain HiFi if you had an amp running with no speakers connected to it then there was a fair chance that you would blow the output stage. In a modern AV receiver they are designed to be able to run safely without all 7 channels being connected to speakers. Many people do run a 7.1 receiver as 5.1 system as they just don't have the room for 7 speakers and there are not that many 5.1 receivers anymore.
    In many receivers you will have a setup menu where you can disable speaker outputs that are not being used, but I had a Denon 3802 receiver and did not use the front L&R speaker outputs. I instead had an external stereo amp connected to the preamped outputs. Although I could disable the surround speaker there was no way of disabling the main L&R fronts but this never caused any damage to the receiver. Some people go even further and use the receiver just as a processor and use external amps for all channels.

So in answer to the question as to can you safely run a receiver with no speakers connected then the answer is a definate YES!

Mark.

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    many thanks! :D

4. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: