1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever is getting way to hot!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DevonB, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DevonB

DevonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to everyone, :hiya:

I'm a noob here, and I have to say, I love this site, I've been looking for a good Home Theater/AV/Audiophile forum for a while, finally I've found one.

My question is; I have a panasonic reciever (can't remember model off the top of my head at the moment, and I'm a little to lazy to look right now ;) but, I have 5.1 surround sound connected to it, Sony Fronts, Rears, and Center, and a Brandy new Polk PSW10 Sub. I've only had the sub for a day, and I've noticed a great increase in temperature of my reciever. Right now, I have my Receiver, DVD player, and XBOX in a sort of confined TV Stand. In order to have all these components in the cabnet, I can only allow for 2"-3" of space from the top of the receiver to the first shelf. I know that this is probably insufficient, but its all that is really feasible at the moment.

I have searched the forum already, and found that a lot of people have cooling issues, and overheating problems, which is what I'm worried about right now. I'm a highschool student on a tight budget, so I can't really afford to loose a peice of my equipment due to overheating. I saw that a few of you used computer fans to help circulate air over/in/out of the reciever.

At the moment, I have a "muffin fan" which is roughly 120mm in size, but it is extremely LOUD! so what I was hoping to do is somehow connect two 80mm PC fans ( one intake, and one exhaust) to some sort of wall adapter, maybe the type used on telephones or something of the sort? I have a few of these adapters lying around the house.

Maybe someone on here can elaborate and help me out with what I'm trying to do?

Sorry for the extremely long post, please someone help me out! :lease:

Thank you

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Welcome aboard!

One questions since you say the problem appeared only after connecting the sub: How is the sub connected - line level (subwoofer out from the receiver to sub) or at speaker level (parallel to the fronts)?

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Can the receiver go on top instead of the xbox (guessing here). Use an ordinary room fan as there much better to live with as the noise is a different pitch to computer fans. Open a window, so long as you can get the air moving in your room then you should be fine. Remember it gets a lot hotter in Hong Kong than here and equipment is used designed for world wide use.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    2 to 3"s should be fine, assuming th rear has a bit of space to breath as well. if you are connecting pc fans, use one of these (great seller) and just cut the end of the adapter, strip wires, do the same for the fans, and twist them on! :thumbsup:

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    also with that adapter you can vary the fan speed at the plug outlet, very handy

6. DevonB

DevonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help :)

Yes, the sub is connected at line level, which is why I don't understand the sudden heat increase? its a powered sub, I don't see why it would drain any power from my receiver, which would cause the heat increase?

what I have done is taken a wall adapter that says Input AC:120V 60Hz 5W
    and Output DC: 12V 200mA

I have cut the end off the adapter and wired in two 80mm fans, using the negative line as my ground, and the positive as..well the positive. I've tested it out and it seems to work great, havent tried it on my stereo yet, but it seems to blow quite a bit of air :D

What I had planned on doing was having one fan blowing air into the receiver, probably on the side with the power source and transistors and such, and having the other fan pulling air out, on the otherside which looks to be just cicuit boards.

Thank you for your help AVforms :hiya:

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    as long as you get cool air circulating through it should be fine. The heat increase may be due to the bass management required when a sub is attatched, my dvd player boils in progressive mode but makes no heat in interlaced, this surprised me a lot!

8. DevonB

DevonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after you made the comment about your DVD player getting on the warm side, I decided to watch a movie and see if mine did the same.. which it did...it was VERY hot.

My dvd player is in sort of a "sleeve" as I would call it, basically, my dvd player is under a type of shelf (sleeve) that holds my xbox. it has 2 sides and a top, which basically cover my dvd player and create a place for my xbox to sit right above my dvd player without putting any weight or stress on the dvd player, there is about a 1/4" gap all around the dvd player, and the front and back are open.

Im assuming that having this shelf will minimize the amount of heat that can be radiated from the unit? Is it normal for a dvd player to see this kind of heat? will the internals suffer after a few hours (watching a vew films) in this heat? should I add a cooling fan behind it maybe? I'm sure it couldnt hurt.

I know maybe some of my questions may seem dumb to some of you, but in all reality, I am a complete noob to Audio Video stuff and stereo bulding. So far I have built myself a wonderful system (in my eyes) of decent equipment that was within my price range as a student with no cash. This has made me quite proud of myself and my acheivments. I have dreamed of owning a system worth more than a car, and having a room built into a home theater. So please bare with me and my silly questions, I'm just trying to get the best out of what I have.

Thank you for making me feel so welcome to your forum. I also would like to say that this is the first forum to actually do so. I was somewhat suprised when I asked a simple question I wasnt told to "use the search feature and **** off" That made me quite happy, so really, Thanks

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    this is a very friendly forum, the only one i actually hang around to help on!

few dvd players have vents etc, so they should be able to cope with the heat they produce. I would never put something on top of my amp as it has so many vents, but wouldn't worry about the dvd player.