Reciever for £500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Falariun, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Falariun

Falariun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a reciever for my home cinema set up and have £500 to spend. I initially thought of the Onkyo 605 (as an earlier message states) but it doesnt seem to upgrade (?) signals, not that I understand all of the jargon.

I want a reciever that will deliver good sound (I am no audiophile) a good picture and be able to make normal DVDs look better (if that is possible). I would like it to be a sensibly future proof as poss but people are saying the True HD stuff the 605 is touting is all its cracked up to be.

So, £500! Whats it to be, Oh Gurus. I have a Pioneer 436XDE, fair Pioneer speakers and a crappy DVD (but thats another story, it can do nothing, think Pacific and you may be on the right tracks!!!!)

many thanks all,

Graeme.

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    The Onkyo is more future proof, but the Marantz is probably better sound (guessing here). Which way do you want it? :)

Given the Pio speakers, I'd tend to go with the Marantz.

Best bet is go and hear them for yourself.

The reason you aren't getting answers is because you don't say what your priorities are enough.

With your setup, that doesn't involve HD, go for the best sound, IMO.

I don't know if that helps :confused:

3. Falariun

Falariun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advise, Badger, it is appreciated, Im a bit of a newbie on these forums.

As mentioned, I am no audiophile, but I do appreciate decent sound but as far as HD goes, I am going to buy a cheap, though decent HDMI DVD player to tide me over till luRay and HD DVD make up their minds, lol, so picture is really important to me and what the best ways are to achieve that best picture. I dont know alot about upscaling, etc, my screen is a 720P/1080I, which is all I will ever need (I dont envisage getting a TRUE HD screen anywahere in the distant future) but I would like to get the best out of BD and HD DVD when they get more acceptable.

I do play normal CDs in the DVD and I will be getting SkyHD in about a years time (I have Sky+ at the mo) so i am looking to fully utilise my screen, say, within the year, so a good future proof reciever is where I want to go at the mo.

I dont know whether the difference between HDMI 1.1 or 1.3a is enough to make me go for something just because it says it is HDMI 1.3a.

Is that any better in the way of explanation?