1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever crossover experiments

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dongagon, Aug 17, 2005.

1. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have recently been playing with my receiver

As is normaly recommended i would set the crossover on my reciever to match the roll off of my satellite speakers. With my Take 5's this would be 80Hz, size small and crossover on the sub at max
    However i never felt as though is sounded cohesive.

Just on the off chance i set the crossover on the receiver to 150Hz and i was very supprised at the result :thumbsup:

The overall sound is much much better. The sub is hardly noticable/locatable even though it is playing frequencies upto 150Hz.

The fronts sound much larges than the are...its as though they are large floor standers.
    I have listened to both music and DVD's
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I would always recommend setting the cross over above the roll of value of the satelite speakers - how much above is difficult to state as not all companies quote their 'roll off' frequencies using the same method so for some it can be only 20hz above others need more.

150hz does however seem a bit on the high side and I am surprised you arent starting to get some sense of where the sub is but if it works for you then that's all that matters. Personally I would try something more in the region of 120hz and just go with the best sound for you.