1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reciever and speakers advice needed...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hughesy, Oct 26, 2005.

1. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am helping a friend set up a large living area and need advice on a reciever or 2 needed to power about 10 or twelve speakers....

Have added an image as to what it kinda looks like. You can see where the tv is and the 5 red dots are speakers i would hope to use for the HC.

The blue dots are for what i would like to use when playing music and having it just playing throughout the room.

Is it possible that one amp/reciever can power all 10 speakers and when playing music it can use 10, but when watching a dvd play just the 5 needed for watchin movies???

It also need to have HDMI inputs and outputs...

Also need small wall mounted speakers and a subwoofer, if any one can recommend???

Regards...

Hughesy

Attached Files:

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Moved to integrated's :)

3. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, wasn't 100% sure where to post :smashin:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The denon flagship has 2x 5.1 zones so it would be possible with that maybe, but i think most integrated wouldn't be suited to this, you could use all the preout and have a second power amp which you can turn on and offdepending on use.

Serieously how big is this room, like the halls or moria (sp?) or do you just like the idea of lots of speakers?

5. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Before i go on, remember this is not for me!!!

My friend (really friend of my mothers) likes the idea of speakers!!! But the room is about 30 by 12 feet...

I have pretty much accepted that i'm going to need to need 2 amps, would obviously prefare not to.

What do you mean by an integreated amp???

can u recommend a power amp?? Are they expensive??

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Integrated amp is where the power (amplification) section and pre amplication (decoding and digital->analouge conversion and more) are combined into one box.

You could get away with using an integrated amp and using the pre amp out sockets, which a lot of amp/recievers have, to connect to a power amp which would sent the same signals to the extra speakers.

I very much doubt that having more speakers would make the sound any better (most likely worse, and certainly not hifi) and a decent set of front speakers could probably fill the room with a volume greater than would be required.

On the power amp side, they are not cheap generaly, although you could also go with 2xintegrated recievers and use the pre outs (as already mentioned) -> the multichannel input (all but the lowest models of full sized amps have this usualy) of the second receiver

7. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers, can u recommend a power amp???

And what do u think about the mission cube speakers???

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Ask in the power amp forum they will be much more knoledgable, and i don;t know anything about the cubes but if you ask on the speaker forum someone is bound too.

As your friend is probably more bothered about volume over quaility i think any power amp would do, there are quite a few going second hand on the forum classieds here as people are upgrading.

9. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Will do mate thanks!!! :thumbsup:

10. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just checked the price and it's £4000!!!

Any cheaper amps with HDMI???

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Your still talking about a grad for a one with HDMI although they are coming down all the time, there a pansonic one, although i think it only has 1 in and 1 out but this under £500.

12. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A grand is fine, i think there is an arcam one??? have to look into it...

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I'm not sure but I didn't think the arcam one has HDMI/DVI, I'm thinking your mainly looking into the yet to be reliesed denons and yamahas (and possibly the new pioneers too).

14. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your right about the Arcam.... not sure where i got that from... I think i was thinking of the dvd player...

What do you think of the Sony STR-DA7100ES??? Has 2 HDMI inputs and is only £1333 on amazon.

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It does look like there is a new competetor in town although the new denon and yamaha will offer all these fetures and more for less money, when it comes to sonics though it could be another matter, you may get what you pay for. The previous gen of sonys were considered to be very analytical sound, I guess a demo would be in order.

16. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any chance you can get me model numbers for the denon and yamaha models you have in mind?? :lease:

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    yam 2600, denon 3806 (or it may be the one above) will ofter upscaling all the way to hdmi and the yam for certain has upscaling of picture upto 1080i. Plus 7.1 and multi region out ect..

18. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    what you want wont be easy.......when you say you want the music to come out of 5 speakers or 10 speakers how do you mean? do you want each speaker to play both the left AND the right channel sound like in a club? or do you want them in a kind of surround sound thing? or do you just want 5 pairs of stereo sound?

If you want the clublike setup, that is best done using pro gear, altho normal hifi stuff could do it, its not designed to......

if you want the surround setup, you best going for the Denon tbh, it has all the available options, it has the HDMI switching, and its all in one box.

if you want the 5 pairs of stereo sound, then i think you will need to go for separate stereo amps connected to an a/v processor and get a HDMI switching box (like you get Scart switch boxes). this can be done cheapish, but means lots of boxes and stuff...

personally, i think it would be better to get 5.1 speakers for movies, and use a 7.1 amp with multi-zone capability, use the 6th and 7th channels to power a pair of stereo speakers for the music part of the room.......that can be done a lot cheaper, and mean less hassle....lol only other thing you need is the HDMI switching box.

19. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have managed to talk my friend out of using all 10/12 speakers and will only use 7. (as recommended above!!!)

I like the Denon amp and think i'll go with that one!! Has the 2 HDMI inputs that i need. I think they have a HDMI dvd player which i like the look of too. Just need to get small satelite speakers and a sub. The only ones i really know of are the mission and bose.

20. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Bose only really work with there own kit, and the quality for price is dubious at best (altohugh some really like them). There are quite a few sub sat combos, depending on your budget, there are the monitor audio radius (very small but they remind me of a 1960's radio :s) the MS genies and the B&W new range (which are very nice) plus the tannoy arenas. There are lots others too, sub sats are really a market onto their own. 1 piece of advice with the sub sat system, is that you'll need a good sub that can make up for the fequencies that the sats just can't do.

With some combos its better to dump (or not buy) the sub and get a seperate one from another manufacturer (or even the same but an actual good sub).

21. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Excellent, thanks again for the advice!! :smashin:

after dciding the amp looks like i've a bit of receacrch to do looking for speakers :(

22. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    what sort of volume level is needed? if its very very loud then you really need to look at satellites from M&K......if however its more conventional levels (ie loud but not clublike) then Monitor Audio Radius are nice....they do different size ones from tiny cubes to tiny monitors, to gatepost size floorstanders......but match them up with REL subs, i would actually suggest buying 2, a Q series for the movies and a ST series for the stereo speakers.......for stereo speakers if they dont need to be satellites, then go for a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze or Silver series floorstanders to get a bit more stereo impact ;-)

23. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You have lots of choice, with quite a few with a simialr 'sound' which means you can find one that really matches your astetic values :) Personaly if i were in the market i would get the B&Ws as the finish is lovery and the sound (although always, always demo if you want to be sure) will be just great, although i would get a different sub as even if the pv1 is good i doubt it'll be worth the money.

24. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I like the look of the B&W's!!! Only problem is they sell them in sets of 5 speakers and i can't find an online store that sells them???

Knyght: The volume level isn't really an issue, quality is of more importance.... i need small speakers that will hang on the wall due to the room being prewired....