1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recieved my samsung SP43L2HX, bit of a problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by the_dead_parrot, May 21, 2004.

1. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, today i recieved me lovley new lcd SP43L2HX, the tv looks absolutly superb, even if it does make my ntl connection look rubbish... i was advised to check the tv before i signed which i did everything was in good condition no damage... but when later i actually was setting it up that stupid sticker they put on the screen to say the features the tv has (i know the features which is why i bought the damn tv) the sticker came of fine but loooking in the light its left a grey area which wont come off with cleaning, like its been left in the sun on just that part of the screen, it also shows when the tv is on i cant see it but i know its there and its annoying... has anyone had problems like this? is there a way to clean it?

this may just be me being picky and other people wou;ld live with it, but iv spent £1500 on a tv i want it perfect

cheers for any help

2. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know exacly the sticker youre talking about. It bothered me for a while as well. In the end,like you, i couldnt get it off no matter. I truth it cant be seen during viewing or even when the tv is off. It bcomes very visible to me when the tv is off, and im standing up in the room, it shows up quite badly. I dunno what to suggest. Just wanted to let you know youre not alone!

3. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and if theres anything I can help you with, let me know. Not many people have this TV, so theres not many of us for discussion.

4. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a shame, i would have been over the moon at my tv still just if it wasnt for that little bloody sticker... well nevermind il have to live with it like you... i might ring up pantheronline n see what theyve got to say about it, but i suppose they all have stickers on... its gonna be nice havin the fa cup on such a great tv though...

yeah i could do with a bit of help, i see what you mean iv searched through the forums n theres a lot of people talking about the tv but very few have bought it suprisingly... what settings have you got the screen at? i tried messing round with the contrast etc but didnt really get very far, im gonna have a good sitdown today n work it all out

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the picture quality on this TV like? I have recently bought the SP42W4HB and it is quite probably the worst picture I have ever seen on a tv. The image has huge levels of ghosting/smearing, the colours are terrible, either totally washed out looking or pasty and inacurate.

I have had the tv repairers out who say theres nothing wrong with it but I am not convinced.

Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks

6. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually have the settings around so:-
    contrast 80-90
    brightness 45-55
    sharpness 0-20
    colour 50-55

this tv has ALOT of configuration options inside the service menu, but we'll save that for a later date!

ayrshiredude, the two tvs have completely different tech. Yours is a CRT rptv, whereas the L2HX is 3LCD rptv. It is pointless comparing the two.

7. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    picture quality on mine personally is great, especially for dvds... i cant wait till i get a dvi dvd player just to see how good the picture can be... ordered a yamakawa 365, would ahve got the samsung hd one but heard a lot of bad things n nowhere has anystock...

there pretty much the same to my settings, i used the avia dvd to config it right, mines at:

contrast 80
    brightness 47
    sharpness 20
    colour 50

after iv actually sat down and watched the tv the whole sticker incident seems a lot less important, yeah iv heard a lot about service menus n stuff, but what can you actually change by getting into them?

8. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good to hear you're happy with your tv!

I wasnt! ... it looked awfull out of the box. All kinds of smearing and verticle lines running through the picture. I needed to tweek the tv in the SM to get rid of the problems.
    From the sounds of it, you dont have any such worries, so I wouldnt recommend you touch a thing.

Im waiting to get a replacement for mine, as its just lost the sound completely. You wouldnt believe how much bad luck ive had with mine. hearing your positive story gives me more faith that the replacement will be better.:)

9. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you have any dead pixel problems, just watching the simpsons now i noticed a green dot while watching it, under closer inpection it is a dead pixel... tut n after 1 day of getting the tv as well! is there a certian amount of dead pixels id need before i got a replacemnt like they do with tft monitors? damn n i was so enjoying watching it today as well... jeez loosing the sound is bad, i just hope i dont get anything that bad, so far mine are just minor niggles

10. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine has a few green pixels, but i cant see them if im sitting more than 3 feet away, so im no bothered about it. Samsung told me over the phone that they have a 5 dead pixel limit, so 6 are needed for a replacement. However, its my understanding that if anything can be seen from normal viewing distance, they would change the set regardless.

11. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got this delivered last week, I have the mark where the sticker was too but I managed to get half of it off, then just havent gotten round to getting the rest off. While the TV is cool, get some kitchen towel that is damp, not wet, just a bit moist, and that got rid of it easily, its just horrible sticky stuff left on the screen

12. mwj666

mwj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SP43L2HX has been extremely sick since arrival - picture very, very blue (or occasionally green just to keep me awake), almost totally lacking in brightness and absolutely riddled with vertical line artefacts above and below any images on the screen - even the menu panels.

On the plus side, there's no mark on the screen from any stickers!

Sent the thing back to Comet, who had it for 7 weeks (and also made some fairly scathing comments about Samsung spares availability) and then sent it back supposedly 'fixed' but actually just as bad as ever! Oh yes, the component video input was u/s as well which isn't a lot of help when you're trying to playback progressive scan component video for your DVD!

To cut a long story short: it's gone back to Comet permanently and I've got my money back!

Did I just get a 'Friday Afternoon Special' or is there some underlying problem with the technology, which is after all fairly new? Previous posts mention a Service Menu - how DO you get at this, if these problems could have been fixed by Comet just setting the thing up right I'll be an even more unhappy camper!

Those of you who have had one of these sets a while: are they behaving themselves and are you happy with them - if I just got a bad one then I may try my luck again but if other people are having reliability issues then I'll look elsewhere or wait to get a look at the new Philips ones when they come on the market over here.

Maybe Bongpig's bad experience isn't such a one-off after all!

13. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive given up trying to get mine replaced. So much for consumer rights. Both Samsung & Comet insist theres nothing wrong with the TV when I bloody well know there is. The TV I had demo'd at Comet had none of the problems mine does.
    Yes, I got the picture looking much better using the service menu ( Display>Menu>Mute>Power ) but still not spot on. I still see very fient verticle smearing, but i can live with it now.

However, it still crashes on occasion. If any of the scart connected components are turned on before the TV is powered up I get no sound. The TV has turned itself off on a few occasions.
    None of these problems have been confirmed by samsung or comet. Ive lost my will to fight anymore, so ive settled for the TV and look forward to upgrading it to something else ( not bloody samsung ) in a couple of years.

14. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think im having the same sound problem as you experienced bongpig, when turning the set on there is no sound no matter what source i go to, turning it off and back on again usually brings the sound back but i shouldnt have to do that, the vertical lines across the screen seem to be getting worse and it doesnt look like theres much way of shifting them,

also i dunno if this is just the way its filmed but after watching the football over the last few days after they show a replay and return to the normal game for about 10 seconds any player on the pitch or anything moving sort of goes blocky'ish, the same also happens in adverts if there is text scrolling across the bottom of the screen, it goes all garbeled...

im not happy, something is wrong with the component inputs as the picture out of them is just awful, on either xbox or dvd player...

15. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Try using lighter fluid to get rid of sticker.

John

16. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dead parrot,
    make sure none of the connected components are turned on before you turn the tv on. That fixed the sound problem for me. Always turn the TV on first. Stupid thing to have to do on a £1500 pound telly, but there you go.
    I wasnt aware you were having problems with vertical lines? How do they look? Can you explain? If they are what I think they are, I can help you get rid of them via the service menu.

Funny enough, the display via component using my xbox at 480i is lovely on my set!
    Its the reason im willing to give up and keep it, seeing as 90% of my TV use is for xbox.
    I still get the verticle lines, but not as bad.

Regards the football, is everybody watching it on digital? Digital makes the image blocky and sometimes even lowers the framerate. Its fine when watching via the aerial. ( how the fook do you spell that word!? )

17. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i think turning off the any component inputs may be the problem as the sound usually disapears if the xbox is being used, il give it a go next time see how it works out...

the vertical lines seem to be gettin worse as i said earlier, if there is a picture on the screen with all one colour in the background you can see them really badly (e.g. an advert on tv with a plain background then just showing the companys logo or summut, thats where you can see it most) but all through programmes its noticable, there not straight vertical lines they like appear in radom intervals accross the screen, not totally one colour they look sort of partly translucent white... if that makes any sense...

its the xbox mainly that is annoying me, at 480p the picture is awful its never been this bad on any tv iv tried it on, a xbox hd kit made the pic much clearer but coz of that it now looks blocky with lots of jaggies and vertical lines... so its either have blurry pic at 480i or have a jaggie one at 480p and above

18. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been many reported problems with Samsungs in my country Sweden as well.

They seem to be very buggy...

19. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those are the same vertical lines I get. On mine, they are roughly half an inch apart and vary in intensity. Single screens of colour look ****.

Go into your service menu,
    go to page titled L3E7050K (Epson)
    look for a parameter called NRG width
    this was 120 on mine. Ive set it to 60. This had the single best effect on those lines.
    However, ive no idea what it means or does. Its had no bad effect on my tv as yet. Dont blame me if your tv starts puking up. :)

Also, the settings on page M62392E
    especially NRSL also has a big effect on the lines.

Finally page VPC3230
    has various LPF ( low pass filtering ) parameters. These helped my picture a great deal in other ways. The image used to have a strange luma wobble on pans before i set these. The problem is 70% better now.

NOTE.
    The service menu always defaults to Dynamic settings, which really sucks. I dont know what you can do about that to be honest.

20. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers il try them now, do you know what you set M62392E and the VPC3230 LPF parameters to? as i dont wanna put summut in thats gonna bugger it up completly

cheers for your help

21. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NRSL = 130
    If I set the above AS WELL as the NRG width the effect can come back. Use one or the other.

the LPF are like switches. These are safe to completely experiment with.
    I have them all set to 1.

22. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you've all put me off buying a samsung SP43L2HX.

23. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i phoned the company i bought it from and they sent out two engineers yesterday... the tv now has a major list of faults

- no sound
    - dead pixels
    - vertical lines on all inputs
    - that sticker mark/burn on the screen

- sometimes no power up on first boot
    - horizontal lines in component inputs

the blokes said i would be better off demanding a replacement tv from the company, as the amount wrong for such a new tv just isnt right...

cheers for them settings bongpig, the vertical lines one worked but i got a lot of sort of flashing artifacts every now and again, but the lines were gone'ish... im gonna try n get in touch with the company for a new one

24. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be warned though dead_parrot.

I couldnt get a replacement and I had many of your above faults as well as a freezing/crashing problem.
    Regards the verticles lines, all engineers who looked at the set once it got taken away for checks insisted that the Tv is working fine. The sound issue couldnt be re-created elsewhere either. As I said before it only seems to happen to me when I turn on the connected kit BEFORE I turn on the TV.

I had massive arguments over the phone with both Comet & Samsung, but niether would help me at all. You see, what we say is wrong, they say is normal. What are we supposed to do about idiots ilike that? In the end they broke me, and ive given up trying.

25. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to follow on....

which parameters did you use to get rid of the lines?

26. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you drop it down the stairs ?

Only joking, demand you money back...sounds like the thomson 32wb643s tv that I had - too many faults with it.

Get ya money back.

27. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, ive a feeling these TVs are sensitive little buggers that perform differently depending on enviroment. The verticle line problem is really obvious in my house ( before any SM tweeks ). Everytime an engineer came to my house they could see them. They would generally write up a service slip with a list of problems as Parrot described above.

However, in the 2 times my TV has been taken away, once by Samsung and once by Comet, the enginners have told me the TV is working fine. I spoke to one engineer on the phone while they had the TV, and they insisted they could see no lines, using a wide range of test patterns?

Initally I found that hard to belive, but now im thinking maybe its soimething else in my house interfering with the TV in some way? I mean, that was the case with the sound. Its my bloody freeview box that does it. If my freeview box is powered up as I turn the TV on, there is no sound on ANY of the TV inputs untill I turn it off and on.
    Still a problem with the TV as far as im concerned, but when the engineers had it, they tried it out with several DVD players and never once had the TV lose sound.
    If thats the case, maybe the same thing is happening with the display?
    Maybe the reason the engineers cant see a problem when they take the TV away, is becuase there is no problem under thier test conditions?
    Something to consider for sure.

28. the_dead_parrot

the_dead_parrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used the L3E7050K (Epson) one and the LPF ones... just every now and again part of the screen would flash maybe just once or repeatdely, its hard to explain but it was noticable, so i just set it back to normal for the engineers... i tried ringing them yesterday but just got on hold for ages so gave up, will try again today though, i wouldnt mind if it was just one fault but the list is ever growing

yeah the tvs must perform differntly in different places, i dunno though how in comet they always seem to get the screen that has absolutly no image problems on display for customers, coz like you the one i looked at was the reason i bought this tv, but what i got was v different... yeah my sound problem is the same as yours with ntl on before power up = no sound, ntl off tv power on then ntl on = sound... but im not prepared to do that everytime it should work whatevers on

oh yeah and i forgot, they said theyd bring round a courtasy tv while mine was being fixed, i thought ok a little tv maybe 28" tops... but oh no they bougth round a 56" samsung rptv! so big infact that it cant fit up the stars, so iv had to put it in the lounge... lol i should try the old stairs trick with mine, funny enough the engineers who dropped the replacment set round told me to drop it down the stairs coz they hate lifting it everywhere, its a heavy beast

29. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep us posted on your progress with them.
    This could prove most interesting. Your situation seems almost a mirror of mine.

30. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    O, and that flashing/pulsing effect youre talking about, I had the same thing from day one, before I did any SM tweeks.

I could see it badly when watching 4:3 stuff with the grey bars on the sides. The bars would flash, as if becoming brighter for a split second, and then back to normal. Sometimes once, sometimes a few times giving me a mild flicker like effect.
    Is this the same thing?