1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recieved my Panasonic DMR-EH60 today

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the blue angel, Aug 25, 2005.

1. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not a bad recorder but the epg menue is not very good no where near as good as my humax pvr quite boring really not much detail abount what is on, still trying to decide wheather to keep my panasonic dmre100 and my humax pvr

2. jamba

jamba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did you buy it from? Most places are out of stock till september

3. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine yesterday, from a small, local retailer which is part of the "Euronics" buying group - two came into stock on Tuesday afternoon. Therefore it could be worth checking out small shops that belong to this group, though of course they're not as cheap as some internet retailers.

It's very nice indeed in my opinion (it's replacing a DMR-E55 DVD recorder) - much slimmer and nicer looking, very quiet in operation too (I'm referring to the HDD here) and of course very fast. It looks just like the current DMR-EH50 aside from the small logos and the fact that the entire upper half of the front is subtly semi-mirror-finished (I know these things are trivial but that's why I thought I'd mention them!). Timer mode *doesn't* have to be engaged if the unit is in use or otherwise powered up (rather than in standby) - a message pops up warning that the timer will start in a few seconds and gives the option to cancel it if you want; if you do nothing, it does the timer recording and goes into standby (with timer mode engaged) after, if there are more events to come. The Direct Navigator screens have a choice of thumbnail format (6 per screen) just like my E55 had, but also a list (9 per screen) with a live thumbnail for the highlighted one, and this list can be sorted by all its column headings too. The Freeview EPG initially looks a bit like the one on the Sony VTX-D800U standalone box, except for a different colour scheme: channels down the side, programmes in a horizontal strip - I never got on with this layout - but can be changed to have channels across the top, with a vertical list of the channel you're on, which I prefer. My area is known to be dodgy for Freeview reception though we've a good aerial so really only ITV channels get the odd glitch - on the Sony VTX-D800U this would show as an occasional "squirt" of horizontal mosaic in a line or two of the picture; the DMR-EH60D hides it by momentarily displaying presumably the most recent perfect image - so there is a slight (split second) hesitation. Apart from this, the picture quality is very similar - i.e. very satisfactory indeed. Oh, and I can see the increased quality of LP mode compared with the DMR-E55 I had before, as they've increased the lines of the picture to the same as on XP and SP, instead of being the same as EP.

Hope that's of some help to somebody. Please ask if you want to know anything else, but bear in mind I'm not *that* technical or expert!

Helen

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,752
    Thanks for that Helen, it's always good to read opinions of users :) I'm still unsure if I can receive freeview or not in my area, so am still a little unsure if I should go for one of these.

5. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone know why they dropped the EPG from the UK spec EH50?

Everyone else on the planet seemed to get it

:(

6. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's because (at least as far as Panasonic is concerned) there isn't an EPG broadcast in the UK for terrestrial analogue channels. I've an idea I read somewhere that there might be such things, but you had to subscribe (i.e. pay) to them - or I might have just imagined it! So that explains the lack on the EH50 and on the analogue side of the EH60D - the latter of course has a nice enough 7 day EPG for Freeview, as you'd expect.

7. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anything in the manual about the DVB-T specs for the tuner ? All the panasonic web page says is DVB-T but does the instruction book have anything about QAM and 2K/8K in the digital tuner specs ?

Richard

8. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DL the manual from here http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp
    Just put the model number in there 'dmreh60'
    There are 2 Instruction manuals, one from May and a newer one from July.

I should have my DMREH60 on Thursday, no shops had any stocks of them and it's coming direct from Panasonic.
    I can't wait

9. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those manuals are for the DMR-EH60, not the DMR-EH60D. The first one is not sold in UK and does not have a digital tuner. EH60D is sold in UK, has the digital tuner and is what i'm interested in. Panasonic UK have not put the manual for EH60D online (or DMR-ES20D for that matter).

10. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Let me know if you decide to sell your E100.
    I'm on my fifth Panny but this was my favourite.

11. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering

12. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bad, it was on the UK website, is this the general Europe manual ?

It probably doesn't come in the manual as it varies from country to country.(DVB-T)
    Might be in a seperate manual.
    I'll never know as I'm in New Zealand and am getting the DMR-EH60GN-S
    Hopefully tomorrow. :)

13. Ajix

Ajix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has eh60D got dv input? I looked at the manual for eh60 that was refered to in the pansonic website and it does say it has dv.
    Could someone please confirm. i have just placed an order unfortunatley the company it out of stock. Need to look for another supplier.
    Thanks in advance

14. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes the EH60D definitely has a DV input

15. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my DMR-EH60GN-S (New Zealand) today, here are my initial thoughts.

Packaging, very good, all wrapped up in foam and surrounded by a plastic/foam wrap.
    Heavy duty cardboard surrounded my precious machine.
    It would take quite a bit to damage this unit while packed.

DMR-EH60GN-S, the actual unit it self is a silver colour with a mirrored front panel.
    I personally like the looks of older series better (DMR-EH100), the unit is very shiney compared to my other equipment, but I can live with it.
    The LED display is big and clear and the mirrored finish to the front doesn't interfere with it at all.
    The unit feels sturdy and quite heavy (4.5kg) compared to my old DVD player which weighed about 1/2 this.
    It is slimmer than my old DVD player which is a bonus.
    The door to the front inputs is a little naff, as is the ugly SD card slot door, cost cutting at work here.
    The actual DVD tray is on the far left, the protection flap opens when the machine is held on an angle so not a tight seal for dust.
    I would have prefered the tray to be in the middle of the machine, no biggy, just have to open cabinet door fully to open the tray.
    The only big annoying thing is the remote IR sensor is on the far right of the machine.
    I have the machine in a wall unit with a glass door.
    The glass door has about a 40mm wooden surround and the rest is all glass.
    The sensor being behind the wood means I cannot control the DVDR from any where right of centre :(
    I consider this a blunder as nearly all devices have the sensor in the middle.
    The rear of the machine has all the inputs/outputs anyone would want.
    I'm using the RCA and SVideo sockets as NZ isn't a SCART country.
    But I can easily get any combination of cables to use the in/outputs to the full.

Playing/Recording, is a breeze, just shove a disk in and your away.
    While watching a DVD (mine is Multi Region :) ) you can also record to the HD, awsome feature.
    However this is only possible with the same TV-system, so you can't watch a NTSC DVD and try to record a PAL TV program.
    The picture quality is great, oodles better than my old Sony player, I feel the 12bit (instead of 10bit) DAC at work here.
    Sound quality (in movies) is also improved from my old Sony.

Timeslip is very simple to use, just press record and the HD will record what ever channel your on.
    Then when your ready to watch just press play and your watching from the start while still recording the end, once again very nice!

Recording to DVD-RAM is great (not that I'll use it much with the huge 200GB HD).
    It has all the features that the HD recording has, with timeslip etc.
    Very easy to delete and edit your recordings.
    The ability to also use the DVD-RAM in cartridges in a bonus as well, DVD-RAM is very suceptable to dust and the cartridge will eliminate this and they don't cost anymore.

Panasonic are the first to offer 4hr Long Play recording to DVD with 500line resolution.
    The quality is good enough to record TV programmes on, there is slight noticable lowering of quality from original but good enough for me.

On screen functions are very clear and can take a little time to come up.
    would have been nice to have what ever is playing still showing in the background while in device setup.

This is all I've managed to test now on my machine, might add some more later on dubbing etc.

Pros:
    200GB HD
    DVD-RAM, and DVD +-R
    1 sec record
    4hr 500line DVD recording.
    Firewire
    All inputs/outputs supported.

Cons:
    Infared sensor on the far right, what a curse.
    No PC card input (I use CF cards) as on the older models.

Overall
    I'm very happy with the machine, I'll have to sort something out with the remote sensor.
    The machine is so new in NZ, that most outlets are only just now getting them in (I bought with out seeing it).
    Better still I managed to get 15% of the price and a 5 year warrenty as well.
    Look no further for an all round good performer.

16. carrera

carrera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of getting one of these. Any opinions on fan noise ?

Cheers

17. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fan noise is very minimal on mine ....I can't hear it above the TV etc.

18. macaroony

macaroony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am I right in saying this doesn't record on Double Layer (DL) disks? But can it play them?

I'm also thinking of hooking up another Freeview box to the scart AV input. Would it be possible to view this whilst recording via the internal freeview tuner to the HDD or disk?

19. Burmey

Burmey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those who have got one of these machines, can tell me what teletext facilities there are on the DMR-EH60D?

One for 'Blue-angel please -
    I am currently using a Humax pvr8000T - what is the freeview quality like between your Humax and the new Pani above (to help me get an idea what quality i might expect)?
    Thanks

20. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got the DMR-ES20D which is the same as the EH60D without the hard drive & SD card drive.

It has full digital text facilities as well as the 7 day electronic programme guide. :thumbsup:

21. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRAMBO
    the freeview quality on the panasonic is slighty better then the humax

22. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So although the UK Pannny site doesn't mention iLink for camcorders am I right that the UK model DMREH60D WILL have this link?
    Also as I'm considering either the Panny or the Sony 710/910 has anybody any strong experience yet on what they think makes the Panny a better choice?

23. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panny is a good choice

24. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Because the picture quality is better than the others - especially recording in LP mode (4 hours on DVD-R).
    See many previous posts on this .

25. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drambo, whats it like?

I'm after one , can you use teletext through the analogue?
    Cheers :)

26. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes it does although I don't know if it will record NTSC in addition to PAL from a US bought camcorder.