Recharging NW-HD5

K

kwan_dk

Hi there

Just a quick question from a guy not used to lithium batteries:

what is the best way to go about recharrging my NW-HD5?

Should I use up the whole battery in order to make a full recharge, or rather recharge it when it has spend two thirds of the charge?

What do you guys do and why?

with regards

Martin, Denmark

Have a quick search of this forum for a thread on battery care and charging by user KiNeL - everything you need to know is there.

I do remember something that if you recharge it after the lithium battery is drained completely too often, the gauge wont be accurate anymore. Other than that, I don't know.

I think it was more like this,
For the first few charges do complete cycles, that is let it run flat before charging it.
After that you can top it up whenever required, it seems to like being topped up more than complete cycles.
After like 40 cycles or something the battery meter gets out of calibration, so every so often do a full discharge and then charge it to recalibrate. (full cycle)
Then just charge it again once it goes down a bar or two.

Its the same for modern mobile phones.

oh yeah to store it for long times, store it at 40% charge (the more charge the worse), and store it in a cold place such as the fridge (not freezer).

Hey Sasso - I don't often differ from you, but it is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. You don't ever have to fully discharge it - not even to calibrate the battery indicator :) If you needed to do so it would have said in the manual :)

Sasso said:
I think it was more like this,
For the first few charges do complete cycles, that is let it run flat before charging it.
After that you can top it up whenever required, it seems to like being topped up more than complete cycles.
After like 40 cycles or something the battery meter gets out of calibration, so every so often do a full discharge and then charge it to recalibrate. (full cycle)
Then just charge it again once it goes down a bar or two.

Its the same for modern mobile phones.

oh yeah to store it for long times, store it at 40% charge (the more charge the worse), and store it in a cold place such as the fridge (not freezer).

This is what I now swear by, worked perfect for my nano. To start with it wasn't going anywhere near the stated charge just using it until the battery warning sounded, then I did three charge / discharge cycles and the battery was at advertised spec after the third one. I know it's not recommendedto do this often but that battery university page says to fully discharge once a month or the battery gauge will become increasingly inaccurate.

johann1979 said:
Hey Sasso - I don't often differ from you, but it is not the case with Li-Ion batteries. You don't ever have to fully discharge it - not even to calibrate the battery indicator :) If you needed to do so it would have said in the manual :)

I took this info from that battery website thats on another thread somewhere.

Come on when is a manual ever helpful? Sony can't even explain their own player properly, let alone how to treat the battery.

I think I read somewhere in a manual of a device with a lithium battery to do a few full cycles first to get it up to scratch...but i'm sure the guys that wrote the website are not stupid and they said to full cycle every month. Have a read if you can find it...either way, its not really going to affect anyone much as its only the battery meter and not its runtime that is affected.

Sasso said:
I took this info from that battery website thats on another thread somewhere.

Come on when is a manual ever helpful? Sony can't even explain their own player properly, let alone how to treat the battery.

I think I read somewhere in a manual of a device with a lithium battery to do a few full cycles first to get it up to scratch...but i'm sure the guys that wrote the website are not stupid and they said to full cycle every month. Have a read if you can find it...either way, its not really going to affect anyone much as its only the battery meter and not its runtime that is affected.

I got my information from a website too, somewhere else on this thread - the research was done by some university :)

yes it sounds like the same website, and from memory what I said previously sums up their like 3 pages of info. Well doesn't matter really, if you are having troubles then just do a full cycle, otherwise keep doing what you are doing....:)

I find that sometimes i end up doing a full cycle anyway because i didnt get a chance to charge, or i couldnt be bothered or something. It lasts a long time even on just 1 bar, and even still it lasts ages when its flashing.

My apologies Sasso! I didn't seem to have read it properly the first time around! You're right about the discharging to calibrate the battery indicator it seems ;) :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom