Recession - job for the boys (and girls) ??

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(this may well belong in the TELEVISION section)

As we listen to the news each day and hear about another 500 jobs lost here, and 400 there, I am wondering if these TV companies are exempt from redundancies?

Has anybody heard about any lay-offs at the Beeb, ITV or Sky that AREN'T average paid researchers or admin people?

What I'm hinting at is the presenters themselves - and the thing that has been bugging me for ages - why do we need 2 people to read out the news? When did this start exactly? Its hardly the most strenuous job in the world now is it? Yet these people are all on huge wages so they can spend half the bulletin looking at their fellow presenter and nodding !! Sky Sports News is the worst imho.

(this may well belong in the TELEVISION section)

As we listen to the news each day and hear about another 500 jobs lost here, and 400 there, I am wondering if these TV companies are exempt from redundancies?

Has anybody heard about any lay-offs at the Beeb, ITV or Sky that AREN'T average paid researchers or admin people?

What I'm hinting at is the presenters themselves - and the thing that has been bugging me for ages - why do we need 2 people to read out the news? When did this start exactly? Its hardly the most strenuous job in the world now is it? Yet these people are all on huge wages so they can spend half the bulletin looking at their fellow presenter and nodding !! Sky Sports News is the worst imho.

The Beeb can't be doing too badly, they just moved a load of their staff up north, paying each £40k's worth of re-locations benefits (according to the papers).

It's a fair point though, and the amount of different weather people - Theres about 10 different people who read the weather per day on BBC News.

Heard that Emmerdale and The Bill maybe only screened once a week now due to economic downturn.

Emmerdale have got rid of something like 50% of the cast in the last few months and with the current story line quite a few more are going as well :thumbsup: I wondered if this was being done as a cost cutting exercise.

I pray you are right about it being once a week, being forced to watch it everynight is just to much, I work later just to miss it :(

I know this isn’t strictly the answer to the question you were asking but it’s a nice insight into the ‘modern way of thinking’ when it comes to employment at the BBC.

My old man works for the BBC i can tell you that there have been redundancies. My Dad used to work with a small team of guys (all camera men/electricians/gaffers) all of whom (except my dad) are no longer on the BBC payroll.

BUT get this after they all got made redundant they went free-lance and are now hired back by the BBC to do the same job at a higher hourly rate. You may well think free-lance is not as secure as actually being employed but in this case as my dad is now the ONLY member on staff there is always guaranteed work as obviously he cant do it all on his own!

Talk about crap management!

P.S as for the newsreaders your so fond of:rotfl:, the local presenters are on £250,000 a year!!

I know this isn’t strictly the answer to the question you were asking but it’s a nice insight into the ‘modern way of thinking’ when it comes to employment at the BBC.

My old man works for the BBC i can tell you that there have been redundancies. My Dad used to work with a small team of guys (all camera men/electricians/gaffers) all of whom (except my dad) are no longer on the BBC payroll.

BUT get this after they all got made redundant they went free-lance and are now hired back by the BBC to do the same job at a higher hourly rate. You may well think free-lance is not as secure as actually being employed but in this case as my dad is now the ONLY member on staff there is always guaranteed work as obviously he cant do it all on his own!

Talk about crap management!

P.S as for the newsreaders your so fond of:rotfl:, the local presenters are on £250,000 a year!!

This is very common, and it all comes down to accounting and how figures are reported. My friend is a VP for citibank, he had a department with about 30 people in it. They had one of them efficiency consultants come in and they sacked 10 people, however the job needed to be done and 8 of the sacked staff where taken on as consultants on fixed term contracts and huge pay rises. However on paper it looked like they where more efficient as there fixed costs went down and there share price did go up a bit. Total Madness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom