1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recessing plasma behind 'false wall'

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Rosey, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Rosey

Rosey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fairly new to all of this and have just purchased a Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma. To keep things tidy I had intended to mount the plasma on its flat wall bracket attached to the existing external wall and then construct a false wall over the top; so effectively the screen is flush with the cut out in the surface of the false wall. I can then all cables behind this false wall to the assorted components. My concern is that there is sufficient space for air circulation behind the false wall - which I intend to construct out of MDF. Does anyone else have any experience of doing anything like this?

Glad of any help.

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the major problems with recessing a plasma is that Plasma's give off a heck of a lot of heat and need good ventilation. So if you have it recessed you have to make sure that there is good ventilation behind the false wall.

Mat

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    there is an article for this exact idea in Home Theatre Builder magazine Nov 2004

4. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been thinking of doing something similar also, mainly because my wall is masonary and the idea of chasing the wires through concrete is a little scary and sounds very messy.

having said that i dont think ill end up going with the false wall option in the end as it dont want the lose the internal space. which leaves me with 2 options:
    1. chase it
    2. run a polished stainless steel pole from ceiling to floor and and run all the cable (including surround sound audio) in the tubing, making a cool feature from it all.

still deciding :)

julie

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is that an industry mag or can it b bought elsewhere ? as I've never seen nor heard of it. If its not available any chance of scanning the relevant pages ?

I was thinking of doing the very same thing with my screen.

Cheers, Lee

6. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incidentally, you need to keep power cables separate from data cables - this is why many members who have used conduits have usually used two separate ones.

Mat

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It's an American mag and can be ordered from their website Home Theater Builder It's supposed to be monthly but it's very erratic and on a good year a new issue is coming out Quarterly. There's enough useful in each issue to make it worth while getting IMHO.

With a false wall couldn't you use the space between the original wall and the new plasterboard as a chimney to channel the heat, just fit some vents up where it joins the ceiling. Thats assuming you are running the new studs vertically.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the link...I think I'll get a subscription...are any of the back issues worth getting in your opinion ? any good articles in them ?

My plan was just to join two 8' x 4' sheets of MDF together, and trim to the correct height, then make a cutout for the screen and then simply attach to the floor and ceiling leaving the sides open for ventilation...holes/grooves could be added at the top & bottom if necessary...and maybe add some form of subtle backlighting too.

My main reason for doing it is that I am very susceptible to the buzzing noises coming from the power supply...and this is my third plasma, and the quietest yet, but they all buzz to a certain extent...and thought that the MDF would baffle the sound...maybe even put some acoustic foam around the screen and on the back of the MDF. The thing is I have already gone to the trouble of chasing the cables into the wall so I would be covering up all my hard work – D’oh!

Cheers, Lee

9. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julie, why not erect a simple studded wall using timber and plasterboard over the top of your masonary wall. Very easy to do. Plaster board is around £2 a sheet from Wickes and the timber wont set you back much either. Main cost is getting it plastered but think of the room you will have behind it for your cables!! :thumbsup:

10. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mat,

was intending to run 2 conduit pipes inside the stainless steel pipe (one for power and one for audio). will that be adequate or will additional insulation be required?

cheers,

julie

11. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mounted my plasma onto a false panel mounted 2" away from the original wall and put lighting down either side. Plenty of space for cables behind it, and the back lighting has a positive effect of reducing eyestrain and enhancing the picture.

Lights off
    http://www.chathamclose.com/pics/pict0096.jpg

Lights on

http://www.chathamclose.com/pics/pict0086.jpg

I considered recessing, but ventilation is an issue, and I'd have had to fit fans to blow the air through if I'd done that introducing noise :(

12. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tim,

think i might. still feel it might be a shame to put up a pasterboard wall in a masonary house but seriously considering the option

cheers,

julie

13. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that looks awesome jason :)

great job

julie

14. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that you need to keep a physical gap between them - avoid running them side-by-side. So if you have 2 conduits then ideally you need some sort of gap between the conduits, even a small gap (2cms?) should do it.

If you have all several power cables in one conduit, this multiplies the electric field generated by the cables, so even more important to keep them well away from data cables.

If you use very high quality cables (high quality mains cables are very expensive) then it certainly helps a lot and you might get away with it - but personally I wouldn't risk it. I'd go to some lengths to keep the power cables away from the data cables as far as possible.

Mat

15. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Total cost was around £40 and an afternoon to put it all together.

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    It's a Yank mag, but i can scan the pages if you wish.