1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recessed Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ELV, Jul 9, 2004.

1. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello all,
    Been thinking lately about getting a projector but the main issue is the screen, my room doesn't really lend itself to a fixed screen and as it will be at an angle to the wall,a wall mounted one isn't an option.The other 2 options to me are 1) A portable screen or 2) A recessed one with some sort of flap that i could fit into the ceiling and paint.The sceen size would be 6' approx. Iv'e done a few searches on google but can't seem to find anything in the recessed area, could some one with experience or knowledge of this type of screen put me on the right track, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :lease:

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Do you have the room in the ceiling to fit a motorised screen into a void between joists? That sounds like your best option.

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, i live in a bungalow but at least one joist will have to be trimmed and supported as it would be at an angle to them,but i'm having trouble finding exactly what i want, i did see some photos on a thread here of someone fitting one but i can't find that either any ideas??

Thanks for the reply

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you can access the ceiling space from above that would be ideal so you can drop the screen in. You'd need to cut a slot in the ceiling if using a normal screen to alow the fabric and wieght bar through. There are trapdoor style screens, but they may be outside your price range(?).

Making your own trapdoor housing isn't too hard though if you have a screen with a wieght bar that is wider than the screen fabric.

5. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers for the advice, think i'm gonna have to do a bit more research, iv'e found some with the trapdoor and youre right they are over my budget think i'll have a word with the father in law as hes a joiner and see what he thinks

Thanks again!!

6. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, thats the one!
    The idea is what i'm thinking of, did you make the cover for the ceiling youreself, as the ones iv'e found a very expensive for what they are, thinking of making an mdf box to fit the screen with a panel with a small slot in like yours on the bottom, wouldnt mind painting it either to match the ceiling as it's bloody colourwashed,as youv'e probally guessed this will have to please her indoors as much as myself, but it is better when you can roll it up and forget,by the way the pictures fron youre Z2 look great do you have any bother with dust blobs as the screen shift would be of a benefit to me!

Thanks for the speedy reply, sort of hoped you would pick up on the thread andpost the shots.....

Ta very much :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

8. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not a single dust blob in sight, and it's not like the room has filtered air in it - we have two kids of 6 and 2 years old. We don't have pets though. It may help that the PJ is perm mounted on the ceiling and is never moved.....

The housing around the screen actually isn't....
    What I've done is cut a slot of exactly the required size into the plasterboard of the ceiling (with a circular saw, which gave a nice clean cut). I then got hold of some plastic stuff from homebase. The stuff is a very thin white plastic strip with a profile shaped like an L. I used No More Nails to stick this into the slot with the bottom part of the L sticking to the ceiling and the upright bit sticking to the unfinished cut edge of the slot. The depth of the plastic just leaves a little lip all around the slot above, which stops any dust from falling down onto the screen. My ceiling is white....if you need to paint the plastic you might want to check the paint takes to it before you glue any up.

I hope that explanation makes some sense! If you look closely at the pics you can probably make out what I mean...

9. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for that Woz. I was wondering what you used to frame the cutout. I was going to ask you about it via a pm but I know the edgeing you are talking about.

I have been thinking about getting a projector and I would do that kind of installation for the screen as the joists run across the the width of the room which is ideal. I have even been thinking about how I would be able to fit a flap which would close up after the screen is above the plasterboard. I know the expensive recessed screens do this but there must be a reasonably easy D.I.Y way of doing this.

Anyhow ta

10. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Perhaps the screen could self seal itself when it raises up by attatching the flap to the bottom of the screen??
    Think i'll make a mdf box though to fit the screen in and fit that first,my attic is full of bloody vermiculite and if theres a hole it'll find it, i'm a bit suprised that this hasn't been covered before in more detail.

Ta very much

11. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was going to do this, but once I had the slot cut, I realised that it's actually very discrete even without the flap. From about six feet away, the angle means you don't actually see the slot itself, just the edge. In the end I thought that I could make a more professional finish by edging it than I could by making a flap.