1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recess in plasterboard wall for a 42" plasma. Advice...?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robyoung, May 17, 2005.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi,

I have done a few searches in this forum and the DIY one, and there is some info on building a recess but most seem to be in chimneys or other wise brick walls.

I'm just moving to a new build house, my plasma is currently mounted nicely on my brick exterior wall and from planning where everything will go in the new house it turns out the Plasma will be on a plasterboard interior wall.

I would like to recess the plasma, as i would like my Projector screen to also be wall mounted so i could simply pull this down over the TV without a gap between the screen and wall (its currently ceiling mounted, but looks a bit messy and i dont like the gap.)

So my question is how shoud i do it? i dont mind building a recess larger than the plasma, i understand ventilation is an issue and according to the guide 10cm all round is enough and 2 cm at the rear (which the bracket will provide anyway)

So really my main concern is what do i fix the wall bracket to? is it possibel to be fixed on the inside of the opposite wall (if that makes sense?)

Sorry if all this sound like crap, i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to walls! :D

Alternatively how much will someone charge to do it 'professionally'?

cheers Rob

2. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Anyone? :confused:

Rob

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    One way of doing it is to build a false stud wall in front of the existing wall to a depth that would equal the distance from the existing wall to the front of the plasma screen - once finished this would give the effect of a flush mounted plasma but, obviously, it makes the room 3-4 inches narrower. Have a look through the threads in the DIY forum: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59 as I'm sure a couple of people in there have already done it.

As to mounting the plasma, one way to do it would be to cut some of the plaster board away and screw a sheet of MDF to the existing studs behind the plasterboard - you then mount the plasma bracket on the MDF.

HTH

John

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if there is any way you can send me some drawings of the house etc i can look at the problem and do you a few sketches that a builder or yourself can use

if possible original architects drawings/spec would be best and you should be able to get a copy from the builder/seller

although i no longer practice due to early retirement i am an architect by profession so this should be a doddle :D

5. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Wow thanks!! :smashin: I only currently have the floor plans, but i will try and contact the builders and get hold of a copy of the Architects drawings.

Thanks again!

Rob

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    fine rob - just pm me when you have drawings available and we will sort out the details :D

7. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't dismiss ventilation as done and dusted. Plasterboard and the thermal block which probably sits behind it is a very good insulator. I'd make the top outlet slot sloped at 45 deg positive upwards and the bottom slot 45 deg negative downwards to get air in/out easily.

Even better, if you can get the air inlet slot low down ( below the screen bottom and the outlet high up (above the screen top) creating false chimneys hidden behind the board, over say 2m you'll get a nice airflow without extra fans, even with the screen down for the panel in standby. This might look better than a panel mounted with gaps all round it.

If you were really clever and could do the sums, your hidden vent could be tuned as part of your sub woofer!

Don't however ventilate into the upper floor ceiling void - you'll compromise the fire barrier of the ceiling.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've done this a few times now, the big issue is getting the plasma face 1. to line up with the wall face, and 2. to be parrallel to it! 1. is best accomplished with a swing out arm, but be aware this does not help much with 2. It does make connecting and maintenance (if any) a total doddle. Bung a big conduit, 50mm or so, down the wall, and you can change/upgrade at will.

9. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Xstyle is building something like you need in the "get your plasma's out for the lads Part II thread, on the last page so its easy to find.

Taz

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Xstyle is going right through the wall into his garage, a stonking great hole in fact. He will have to build a new wall to mount the plasma to, his walls are too thin to contain his XDE!

11. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have done exactly what Johndon has suggested and it has worked out great for me. I have drilled large holes in the wooden battens supporting the plasterboard around the back of the screen to encourage air flow and I have had no problems with ventilation in the few months it has been up. You can see the result in the get your plasmas out thread.