Reception problems

bobturbo

Standard Member
Just recently started getting - "No satellite signal being received" message on some channels only. It seems to be just random but seems to affect mostly sky channels and any HD channels.Sometimes you get just the above message and sometimes its just a blue screen with perfect audio. Other times you just get a very pixelated picture . If I see this I switch to another channel and that seems to be perfect. Its not the same channels every night - it is very random. Also get a few failed recordings now also. My box is a Thompson original one. Any clues ?
Thanks

SevloW

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the Thomson fault - power supply/bulging capacitors issue.
If you do a search you will see a lot of posts on this.
Basically you can send it off for repair , or repair yourself with a kit from Satcure.

logiciel

Or get a free replacement receiver from Sky.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi All
Thankyou for your replies. The problem is now solved. Apparnetly the software that was downloaded to enable me to get 3D TV was the culprit according to the engineer. It was not compatible with old Thompson boxes. Although a lot of people complain about Sky I have to say that on this occasion I was treated very well. I contacted the call centre - call was answered very promptly- the guy on the other end asked me to do some checks which I did - but this did not solve anything. He said that he would have to send an engineer out .I asked if there would be a charge as my box is an original Thompson box over 4 years old now and he said no to my suprise. The engineer came round on Sunday exactly on time - he did some checks and siad that the box needs replacing as the engineers were instructed to do in these circumstances. Got a brand new Amstrad box - apparently these are the only ones that they use now as Sky bought that part of the company. So I was very pleased with Sky. The only slight problem I have with the new box is that the picture stutters now and again so I might have to call them out again

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Before you call them out perform a Forced Software Update.

The stuttering problem has been, allegedly, fixed.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Thankyou for the advice - how do you do a forced S.W. update as I have never had to do that before . Is this a problem only with Amstrad boxes or all others as well.Thanks again

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Thankyou for the advice - how do you do a forced S.W. update as I have never had to do that before .

Unplug box from the mains.
Hold down the Back button on the box whilst reconnecting to the mains.
Keep button depressed, for some time, until the lights on the front of the Sky box light up.
Notice the message on the TV screen.
Go and have a cup of coffee....................

Masteriser

Glad your problem is sorted bobturbo. But just so you know, the excuse given by the installer (they are not actually engineers in almost all cases, but let's not go there) about software for 3D was utter utter BS. All the Sky HD boxes can handle 3D, even the oldest Thomsons. SevloW's diagnosis of a failing Power Supply Unit would have been correct, they were built using cheap components and tend to fail between 18 and 36 months.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi Masteriser

I did think that the explanation by the installer was a bit suspect. I guess I did well with my HD box it lasted nearly 4 1/2 years without any real problems. I am pleased that they replaced it free of charge and I didn't even have to ask - they just said it would be fre of charge - Happy days. I wonder if this one will last as long
Thanks

logiciel

they replaced it free of charge
As I said in post #3 that they would, and they'd have delivered it without needing an installer.
You would also have qualified for a much better 1.5tB receiver for £149.
As for the nonsense about "3D software" it really shows that Sky need to get some better employees.
Being on time seems to have been the only thing that one got right.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom