1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reception problems with pioneer xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by delosen, May 16, 2005.

1. delosen

delosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i need some advice please regarding my pioneer xde.both analogue and digital channels have poor reception quality.recently changed to high gain outdoor aerial with new cabling.the engineer is getting good readings on his meter for the signal reception but when i plug it into the media box i am only getting 50-55% signal strength on the media box.i have spoken to pioneer who say that it does not sound as if it is a problem with my media box and one with the reception.pioneer say that you need 75% and above signal strength for the picture quality to be good. the engineer is convinced it is a problem with the media box.i heard that there is a faulty media box batch out there-do i have one?how can i test it.i spoke to sevenoaks where i purchased it from and they have referred me to the pioneer engineers who are calling next week but will charge me a callout fee if they can find nothing wrong with it.
    need help please

2. Apollo

Apollo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You could ask Sevenoaks to lend or bring round to test another media box (from their display model perhaps?)

This could help prove if its a problem with the aerial/poor reception or a media box fault.

3. delosen

delosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got sevenoaks to replace media box but still no better in signal strength.have spoken to CAI registered engineer who still feels that the aerial is adequate-he is going to bring a freeview box to compare picture quality and then put up a very high gain aerial if needed. any thoughts??

4. Apollo

Apollo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    No other thoughts I'm afraid, although the aerial engineers idea of trying out a freeview dtv box sounds like a good plan.

Please post to let us know the results.

5. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your aerial engineer says he's getting good readings on his meter. If that's signal strength then you only have half the story. I assume you haven't got any aerial amps in the way? DTT is all about carrier to noise ratio and bit error rates. If the 435 XDE signal meter works the way other stb's do, it isn't just looking at signal level which is meaningless on its own, it's trying to look at digital signal quality and how well it might be decoded.

You can have lots of signal after an aerial amplifier which won't decode well, or not much signal, no amplifiers and less decode errors. I assume you checked your postcode for DTT reception?

What sort of new aerial did you get? High gain isn't the objective with DTT. Whilst they're transmitting higher power analogue channels interleaved with DTT, you are better off with a wide band aerial with the best front to back wanted to unwanted ratio. High gain aerials can have more side lobes which means they pick up reflected signals off the main beam - you don't want reflections on DTT. What sort of downlead did they fit? If it's cheap co-ax then screening and reflections can upset DTT. Tunbridge from memory is very hilly, are you tuned to the relay or CP? What channels did the XDE acquire when you powered it up and do they stack up with the tranmitter you think your aerial is pointed at? What aerials is everybody else using? If they are big twigs then you might be in a marginal reception area. If your aerial engineer does many DTT installations in your area, he should be quite knowledgeable about any DTT reception problems.

You could try a DTT box, but do you have any neighbours in your street on DTT? Try your media box on their aerial outlet. I have an old Philips Ondig box and that struggled to get some services, so far the XDE has been far superior, the only blocking I see is an occasional twitch as it first tunes in, after that it's rock solid.

If you initiate a call out and they say you are not in the DTT postcode area, then I think you might be charged, same is true if they find your downlead full of water. When the leaves are off the trees things might get better but that's a while to wait.

6. delosen

delosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the signal quality on the media box is coming in at 100%(will always be according to the pioneer engineers) but signal strength at 45-55% on bbc 1/2 and 55-65% on ITV(pq much better).the dtt reception for my postcode in South WALES is supposed to be good,looking at the website. most people in the street have loft aerials.the aerial engineer is going to try another freeview box this Saturday.unfortunately,i dont know anybody close by with a plasma and freeview.my sky pq is pretty decent but my analogue channels are very poor/BBC 1/2 DTT pq breaking up every few seconds.CRT television channels were very good on loft aerial.i have no signal amplifier and the cabling(according to the engineer) is CAI approved co-axial cable.the RF channels for ITV 1 is correct for which transmitter the aerial is pointing to but ??not for BBC1/2 (?why)-will hopefully solve problem this weekend.