Reception advice req.

tullyhubbert

Standard Member
Reaction score
My parents have a standard Sky satellite system. They have just informed me that it has been playing up for quite a while. Seems the sports channels are fine at all times but ITV (103) BBC1 & BBC2 have a lot of picture break up and are sometimes completely unavailable. While there last night I switched from a sports channel to 103, there was a warning banner about a technical problem which then changed to "No singnal being received" 101 & 102 did work but there was a time delay of a couple of secs before they came on.

Any advice on the likely problem would be appreciated. Is it possible the dish is slightly out of aligment or could it be something more complicated?

TIA ... John

Try checking how tight the lnb connectors are (at both ends if possible - those at the dish end are prone to working loose in very hot weather due to the continual heat cycling expansion and contraction)

Otherwise the fault could be dish alignment, trees/foliage partially blocking signal, failing LNB, failing tuner. Do you/they have access to temporarily borrowing and trying a known good dodgibox - if so try fitting it you should be able to then eliminate either the box or the rest of the system as being faulty.

BBC and ITV broadcast from Astra 2D (to try and stop those nasty foreigners viewing) the weakest of the three satellites depending on where they are situated.:cool:

davemurgatroyd2 said:
Do you/they have access to temporarily borrowing and trying a known good dodgibox - if so try fitting it you should be able to then eliminate either the box or the rest of the system as being faulty.

Thanks for the advice dave. I have an old digi box that I used for about a year. Been laid up about 3 years but should be ok. Last time I tried to use it for fault finding purposes there was some sort of warning about the viewing card and it not matching. Any ideas why that was?

ta ... John

Subscription viewing cards are "married" to a particular dodgibox and will not give a full range of the channels subscribed to in a different box although they used to work on the non premium channels only (NOT MOVIES OR SPORTS).

If their box is faulty and they want to use your box until their's is fixed a simple call to Sky should marry the card to your box within an hour or two at most.

davemurgatroyd2 said:
Subscription viewing cards are "married" to a particular dodgibox and will not give a full range of the channels subscribed to in a different box although they used to work on the non premium channels only (NOT MOVIES OR SPORTS).

If their box is faulty and they want to use your box until their's is fixed a simple call to Sky should marry the card to your box within an hour or two at most.

The simple call took around 30-40 mins tonight. Spent some time at a Bombay cal centre before being transferred to Scotland. My old digi box was a Grundig in need of a software update. Card married now and working fine at present. Hope this continues to be the case as I don't want to do it all over again. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for a standard mini dish LNB? I'd quite like to get one as I still have a feeling its a dish related problem.

John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom