Recently found Akai VT-100S & VC-110 w/ Acces

FishByte

Standard Member
I have recently joined the forum as I have recently acquired a Akai VT-100s and VC-110 with accessories in a gray case. It was stored at my grandfathers house for at least 30 years in the case. It appears to be in good-excellent condition. I will be testing it as soon as it arrives at my house.

Just curious as to what the value is based on good working condition. Any thoughts?

I will also have a Marantz 4400 Quadraphonic receiver with oscilloscope.

Thanks,

Brad

rogs

The Akai equipment is very old, and would only have any value to a collector of such things. Not really much use to the modern video user.
Probably need to do a Google search to get some ideas on whether such folk exist....

This ebay listing: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace should give you an idea of the value of the Marantz unit.

twzr

Standard Member
Hi,
I have been looking for an Akai VT-100 to replace one that is no longer working. Do you still have the unit? Do you know if it is still working? The rollers and belts on mine have disintegrated. Have any of these been replaced on the unit you have?

Thanks.

FishByte

Standard Member
Yes, I still have it. I can un pack it and take some photos and video and post to YouTube if you like. The case that it is stored in has not been opened in 20years. There is a receipt included from repairs and maint from 25 years ago. I is a complete set with camera, VCR, video modulator etc. Please let me know if you have specific questions that I can answer for you.

Thanks

twzr

Standard Member
Have you tested it to see if its still working? My guess is that the belts and several of the rubber rollers have cracked or turned to tar by now. This seemed to be a common problem with these units. You can check by removing the top cover plate. I sent a private message with some other questions. Please let me know if you did not get this. Thanks.

twzr

Standard Member
I sent an private message a couple months ago that I was interested in purchasing your VT100. If you still have it, could you please let me know how much you are asking for it?

Thanks.

FishByte

Standard Member
Sorry for the looong delay. I have been working to out of town quite a bit lately. I was finally able to pick it up fro my storage. The unit powers on, plays back audio from the tape that is loaded. records audio from the camera so far and the camera will start stop recording. The attached monitor powers 'On' and sound come from the speaker. So far I am unable to verify the video signal. I have yet to try the RF modultator only the attached B/W monitor.

JNHaigler

Novice Member
Interesting discussion! I just joined because I have an AKAI VT-100 that I want to learn more about. This system was purchased new by my father in the very early 1970s, and most of our childhood memories are contained on its reels. The last time I set it up, it powered-on just fine, with the small B&W monitor also powering on. The take-up reel was a bit sluggish and I was not willing to potentially sacrifice the few videos I have of great-grandparents and such.

I am sure, as you all have pointed-out, that the belts and drive mechanisms have long-since rotted-out, but I would like to somehow transfer these videos to a digital archive. The monitor and supplied RF modulator both plug into the same bus on the side of the recorder housing, but one of the male pins on the RF modulator broke a number of years ago, and I have no idea where to either a) get another RF modulator, antiquated as it is, or b) load the tapes onto another playback device such that I could watch and/or make the transfer I described above. Any wisdom or even collaboration on this matter would be so appreciated.

Michele

Novice Member
OK, here's the scoop on the Akai VT1xx series. If you have one that will move tape reliably, it has probably already been worked on. There are two belts inside - one for fast wind, the other for playback. These harden and crumble and have to be replaced. There are also two idlers, the capstan playback idler and the playback reel idler than turn to mush and have to be replaced.

Once that's done you'll probably have good audio. If you have no raster, the problem is probably a bad LM-1 IC on the video board. If you have a raster but scrambled video, you probably have one or more bad FF-10 IC's on the servo board. These beasts were hard enough to get working back when they were new. Today the task is nearly (but not completely) impossible.

Oh, and first check the condition of the video heads. If they're worn out, then there's no point in doing anything else - the machine will never produce video. And these heads are completely impossible to find anymore. Good luck!

ty1

Standard Member
Me too just have found an AKAI VT-110 on an estate sale, this is not the first I found over the years, I think it is the 3rd for the last 15 years, and they all ended up cleaned, belt changed and working condition and on ebay. this one however did not have a power supply with it and I have no info what the power wiring should be for the 5 pin male DIN plug of the power adapter. if someone from the forum would be willing to email me a pin diagram for the 5 pins on the male side arch being on top and the amps it requres, on different pins, a picture or drawing email would be a bonus. much appreciated. Tnx Ty

raybanky

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a VT 110 which has it's dc power cable missing. Also I don't have
any tapes.

I have had the recorder since the early 1970s, but have not attempted to use it untl a few weeks ago when I discovered the missing items.

A wiring diagram of the dc cable would be most helpful in case I can't locate
a complete cable.

I would be grateful for any help in obtaining the parts that I require.

Please help if you can.

Ray B.

ty1

Standard Member
here is the wireing diagram for the power adapter that I got from an other video forum.

Attachments

• akai vt110 power supply pin diagram.jpg
    akai vt110 power supply pin diagram.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 232

raybanky

Standard Member
Thank you very much TY1, the socket wiring diagram will enable to
make a power cable to get the recorder up and hopefully running again.

Best wishes.

Rayb.

raybanky

Standard Member
Hi Folks, I've made up a dc power lead and fired up the recorder. The monitor lights up and is bright and stable, but alas, as expected the belts are perished and useless.

Can anyone advise if there is a possible source where replacement belts and other bits and pieces can be obtained?

I am also in need of a test tape with audio and visual images to test the unit, can anyone help?

The recorder I have was purchased in the early 70s and it was used to record family events, my hobbies of sailing, gliding and lots of other activities. Sadly, all those tapes have gone missing and I'm just left with the recorder, camera, power supply and microphone. I am still searching for the missing tapes!!!

I am most willing to pay for the parts that need, so please help if you can.

Ray B.:)

raybanky

Standard Member
Hi again folks,

I've found all 10 tapes and other bits and pieces belonging to my VT 100 but alas can't try them out because of the drive belt problem. I am thinking of trying out elastic bands as replacements for the drive belts, has anyone put them to the test or has anyone found a more suitable replacement??

twzr

Standard Member
Hi,
I rebuilt my VT-100 and replaced all the rollers and belts, but the video heads on mine are shot. Does anyone know if they have a unit with working video heads or know of any service that can transfer VT-100 tapes? I have a bunch of old tapes from my childhood that I really want to see and transfer to DVD. Maybe between all our units we can get one working. Does anyone have one they are willing to sell? If I get it working, I could transfer the tapes for other people too.

raybanky

Standard Member
Hi Folks,

As I am unable to get my VT 100 working, I am exploring the possibility of having the
contents of my tapes transfered to DVD.

Has anyone on this forum had this done successfully and if so, who did the the transfer?

Please help if you can!

Sydneypete

Novice Member
Hello,

I am decluttering my home and have found an AKAI VT110 unit complete with video camera, tuner, power adaptor, manuals etc in its original packaging. It was used for business purposes some 30 years ago and has laid in storage since. I have taken it out and tested the unit on power and it seems to be working well. Is there anyone interested in buying it for,say, A$200 + shipping? Pics of the unit are available.

MarkE19

Welcome to the forum Sydneypete :hiya:

If you would like to try and sell the unit on AVF then you must put the for sale thread up in the camcorder section of the classifieds as no sale are allowed in the general forum sections - Digital Camera & Camcorder Classifieds | AVForums
However this is a mainly UK based forum so you might not have much luck here, but you are of course welcome to try.

Good luck,
Mark.

ty1

Standard Member
Hello,

I am decluttering my home and have found an AKAI VT110 unit complete with video camera, tuner, power adaptor, manuals etc in its original packaging. It was used for business purposes some 30 years ago and has laid in storage since. I have taken it out and tested the unit on power and it seems to be working well. Is there anyone interested in buying it for,say, A$200 + shipping? Pics of the unit are available.
-Your best bet it to put it up on ebay, re test the unit to see if all aspects are working (tape advance, audio, video) take good pictures of the set unning, maybe a video op to Youtube, and describe it accuratelly, if it all works, you should have no problem geting good money for it, I sold several over the years.
Good luck Ty62

jnm

Novice Member
Hello,
My name is John and i'm from Greece. I'm interesting on the AKAI VT100. Is it on sale? Please let me know.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021