1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently classified titles soon to be released.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Well are good chums at the BBFC have recently classified several old classic UK TV series, that I know punter round here have been waiting for.

Nightmare Man.
    The Day Of The Triffids.
    Quatermass 2.

I also see that the UK versions of Blade Trinity (theatrical and extended version) have both been classified "15", without cuts.

Argento's Bird With Crystal Plummage has been reclassified as a "15", allegedly without any cuts. However, as it doesn't state previous cuts waived I'd check first to see if this was subject to pre-cuts by the distributor.

2. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Old news I'm afraid mate, as I think you'll find these have already been released. I have the Quatermass set (Quatermass Experiment/Quatermass II/Quatermass & the Pit) sitting on my desk in front of me and Day of the Triffids is waiting for despatch at CDWow!

I've heard of Nightmare Man but I don't think I've seen it. Is it worth a blind buy?

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    oooooooooohhhhh yess :thumbsup:
    That one cost me some sleep as a kid, I can tell ya :clap:

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    these are the TV series, not the movies!

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I can confirm that Argento's "The Bird With The Crystal Plummage" has probably still been cut (before submission to the BBFC). The newest BBFC-approved version, runs for 91m 24s. The full, uncut, and uncensored version, runs to nearly 98 minutes!

According to the IMDB:-

"Originally cut in the US by 20 seconds to achieve a US "R" rating. This cut version was released in UK cinemas (X cert) as The Gallery Murders and then on video by Videomedia (pre VRA):
    - 8s removed of the killer ripping the panties off a victim.
    - 12s of cuts to an elevator scene showing a woman having her face slashed with a razor."

The film still contains some minor controversial imagery, but I can't see the BBFC passing this uncut at a "15" certificate. At "18", almost definitely, but not at the lower rating. Also, this version is being released in an Italian-language, English subbed version. No English-dub option is going to be available.

Technically, "Bird..." was released as an English-dubbed film, as both Tony Musante and and Suzy Kendall (in the lead roles) spoke English. As they are the main characters, it seems odd to have them speaking Italian.

Personally, I'd stick to the US DVD release from VCI video, which has now been fully restored to correct the missing "insert" shot. (This shot had previously been inserted in the wrong position in the film. It's now been put back into the correct place.)

Pooch

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I;ve just had official confirmation from the BBFc, regarding "The Bird...."

Pre-cut version passed at 15 when resubmitted in 2005. The cuts listed below are retained The BBFC said: Sadly the version of Crystal Plumage we were given was the cut version. We doubt the cut material would be a problem now (although its reinstatement might have kept the film at '18') but we weren't given the opportunity to reconsider

Pooch

7. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The italian medusa dvd of "Bird" is currently the best available. With excellent pal anamorphic picture and 5.1 or mono italian and original mono english. Has english subtitles. Great disc. The vci was a bit grainy and scratchy imo.
    But rumour has it that Blue Underground are currently working on this title to be released later this year. This will in all likelyhood be the best version.