1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent DVD issues

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ace007, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of the Jurassic Park DTS DVD, I happen to own a copy (and The Lost World - DTS) and I have to say I was disappointed with it. I feel Universal did'nt give this title the attention it diserved or needed, they could have at least cleaned up the film - All exspense spared?(was I the only one who noticed the dirt on the film? especially during the opening sequence? nice black line over Universal logo!)Worst of all was the sound, I'm sorry but if there is a disc which requires me to fiddle about with my Amp to get the LFE sounding right then there's a problem with the disc! it's that Simple! I was concerned to see there were a number of people who posted their concerns and were slated....as if it's not possible to have a faulty batch? What about player incompatabilies?

Ok before you guys ask, I have a YAMAHA DSP A2 with Boston speakers and YES all my other DTS DVD's play JUST FINE......although I must say that I find the differences between DD & DTS can sometimes be only subtle.....the biggest difference is the LFE, how low can you go baby!!!!

I noticed there are a few people who consider themselves A/V enthusiasts but make negative comments about people who spend £5-10K+ on a system. They think that they know it all and that a £200 Blue Peter system sounds just as good if not better....I don't think so [​IMG]

Anyway the point is a real Home Cinema NUT will buy the best they can afford.....so let US enjoy it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally, why do we get short changed with less extras on DTS titles? I think we should have the same extras as DD either on the reverse side or on a seperate disc! I dont mind paying a little bit extra say £2 (even though we should'nt have to really!) what do you guys.

Just wanted to get that lot off my chest [​IMG]

Cheers

Ace007

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest, how did you 'retreive' the LFE? www.thedigitalbits.com found that initially there seemed to be little or no bass info until they fiddled with their settings. (I assume on their amplifier, sadly they didn't go into very much detail).

Apparently there may be a lot more bass info on the main channels than the .1 LFE track. I didn't have any problems myself because I leave it to the crossovers in my speakers (built in sub's) to sort out which frequencies should go where. My amp is set up for 'no sub', and with all speakers set to large.

------------------
    "I amaze myself sometimes, I'm always thinking"

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 25-10-2000).]

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was pleased with the sound on Jurassic Park DTS.
    I've got Sony STRDB-930 hooked up to a set of Tannoy mX3s up front (pretty bassy) and Tannoy mX2s for surround (no slouch either). My Sub is a decent Yamaha jobbie.
    I've got all speakers set to large and never use bass redirection or EQ settings. I got good bass when necessary and great clarity throughout.
    Just keep your system natural and don't fiddle with it unless a part of your system doesn't do something very well.

------------------
    "Open the safe paps. If you don't open that on the count of three, 1, 2, - fudge Me"
    Website coming soon

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Also I read that JP has a lot of bass in the main speakers signal and if people don't have bassy fronts you won't get as much LF stuff, as it's shared with the LFE.

------------------
    "Open the safe paps. If you don't open that on the count of three, 1, 2, - fudge Me"
    Website coming soon

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ace,

This is what you do:

1) Switch all your speaker settings to Small so that all Bass is routed to the Sub, not just LFE.

2) Correctly configure the DTS Setting on the A2 to LFE +10. By default it comes as +0db which is the setting for DTS Music CDs not Movies.

3) Recalibrate all speakers and Sub with these new settings

4) Listen to JP DTS rip up the DD version.

This is an issue/factory setting with the Yamaha Amp range and when switched like above renders true LFE from DTS Movie tracks. Note that +0db LFE on the DD settings is equivalent to the +10db DTS. You can verify this by switching the audio streams on Chapter 10 Twister Special Edition. You see that the LFE is now equal +/- 0.5db.

Yes I have compared R1 DD vs R1 DTS vs R2 DD.

Give it a whirl and hopefully you be fairly staggered at the difference.

Blade do you agree?

Regards Neil.

------------------
    neil@dvddebate.com

[This message has been edited by Neil @ DVD Debate (edited 26-10-2000).]

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    I too have noe compared both versions of the R1 DVD of JP and the DTS is the winner, not by as much as something like Saving Private Ryan but still great and still better.

There is bass a plenty coming from my denon A1D and B&W speaker combo with rel 100 and I use a similar config to that mentioned above

7. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response. I tried tweaking my Amp as much as I could (all my speakers are set to small on my and all bass sent to my SUB anyway) but could not get it to sound as it should [​IMG]

I don't know why it is claimed there is more info on the main channels than the LFE on JP DVD. I thought that's what the LFE was for and as I understood it the LFE channel goes lower than the main channels anyway. DTS is after all 5.1 just like DD. Therefore if it is encoded with more LFE info on the main channels then it is incorrectly encoded as far as I'm concerned and it just proves my point. I don't recall DD having this problem! maybe we should just stick with DD to save us from this hassle in the future?

I think there are alot of people out there who don't know what JP should sound like and even though they have a faulty disc they think it sounds ok and that's fine but I don't like it when some people say "oh you guys just want too much bass and are just imagining things". The thing is it's easy to prove them wrong if you watch JP you will notice the signs of the IMPACT TREMORS which we should FEEL, such as the cup of water, the rear view mirror, the water in the T-REX's tracks and the most obvious of all the whole camera shakes DAMN IT! so I'm confused when people say that you don't need all that LFE, I thought the whole meaning of the term "Home Cinema" was to recreate the experience of the Cinema in your home. I think that feeling the LFE was part of that experience, or am I wrong? What do you think?

I love movies and the "Cinema" experience and I just want to recreate that in my own home that's all!

I plan to eventually buy the DD versions of JP and TLW if I see them on sale somewhere in the future (if they ARE better I'll try to sell my DTS versions! [​IMG])

8. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses guys!

Neil, My speakers were all set to small anyway but while tweaking my Amp I noticed the LFE for DTS was +0 by default and did try turning it to +10 however while this made all my other DTS DVD's sound Awesome I still did'nt hear much difference to JP. I heard some talk of more LFE info on the main speakers and I even tried turning up the Bass (which is for the main speakers) again no noticeable differnce. One of the sequences that really stands out is when the girl stupidly turns on the tourch and it catches the T-Rex's attention, as he moves over to the kids Jeep it sounds like the T-Rex is Tip Toeing over there in a pair of sneakers! but he still manages to make the camers shake, You don't feel any Bass at all! The other parts are'nt as bad but I expected more.

I just wish Universal or DTS make an official announcement on this matter so we can all lay it to rest!

Come to think of it did anyone else have a problem with BLADE on DVD? I noticed on mine and on a friends copy that during the fight sequences sometimes there were no sound effects on some of the punches or it was abit weak. Don't remember that happening in the Cinema. Anyone else notice this?

Cheers

Ace007