• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiving sky in bahrain

Thunder4ce

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Does anybody know if it's possible for me to pick up Sky in Bahrain if I have my SKY Box with me?

Here in Bahrain I currently have 2 standard Satellite dishes on the roof but I'm not sure if they are capable of tuning into Sky.

Any advice welcomed.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You will not receive Sky, UK, satellite signals in Bahrain - you are well outside the Astra footprint.

(PS You do not "tune" your dish, you point it at the relevant satellite. Receivers do the tuning.)

Thunder4ce

Standard Member
This is what I get from Dishpointer

Your Location - UK
Latitude: 52.014°
Longitude: -0.231°
Satellite Data
Name: 28.2E Astra 2A-B-D​
Distance: 39083km
Dish Setup
Elevation:24.9°
Azimuth (true): 145.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 146.9°
LNB skew: -12.9°

Your Location - Bahrain
Latitude: 26.210°
Longitude: 50.469°
Satellite Data
Name: 28.2E Astra 2A-B-D
Distance: 37043km
Dish Setup Data
Elevation:50.6°
Azimuth (true): 222.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 220.1°
LNB skew: 45.1°

From this it would appear that in Bahrain I am closer to the Satellite which is on the Equator over Africa.

Surely if I have my box from UK and I pay the regular subscription Is hould be able to tune into the Satellite?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
You will have to take out a subscription for the local Middle East services.
They are OSN for general entertainment and some sports including Golf.
ADSports / JSCpackage- Premier league and other sports.
You buy the decoders and cards together and pay monthly as usual.

The above will get you a selection which is better than Sky- more HD channels but of course it is a little pricey :(

Cliff

Distinguished Member
This is what I get from Dishpointer

Your Location - UK
Name: 28.2E Astra 2A-B-D[/LEFT]
Distance: 39083km
°

Your Location - Bahrain
Latitude: 26.210°
Longitude: 50.469°
Satellite Data
Name: 28.2E Astra 2A-B-D
Distance: 37043km

From this it would appear that in Bahrain I am closer to the Satellite which is on the Equator over Africa.

Surely if I have my box from UK and I pay the regular subscription Is hould be able to tune into the Satellite?

Its not the distance its the footprint. The signal is concentrated like a torch beam on a particular country

Thunder4ce

Standard Member
You will have to take out a subscription for the local Middle East services.
They are OSN for general entertainment and some sports including Golf.
ADSports / JSCpackage- Premier league and other sports.
You buy the decoders and cards together and pay monthly as usual.

The above will get you a selection which is better than Sky- more HD channels but of course it is a little pricey :(

But no Eastenders, Emmerdale, Cornation Street and any other Soap my missus watches.................

I have a Dreambox + OSN that seem to fit the purpose to a point but somehow I do miss Sky

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
But no Eastenders, Emmerdale, Cornation Street and any other Soap my missus watches.................

I have a Dreambox + OSN that seem to fit the purpose to a point but somehow I do miss Sky

BBC iPlayer and ITV player for that dross. 7w is the satellite OSN and others broadcast from, it also have some good FTA channels also with very new movies shown in English.

Cliff

Distinguished Member

OSN has all those soaps. You need the proper OSN decoder.

Coronation St is on Ch200 OSN First HD tonight at 16:30
Emmerdale Ch203 OSN First +2 18:00 tonight. It's HD on OSNFirst but you've missed it!
Eastenders Ch215 BBC Entertainment 17:10 tonight

Would that be OK for the wife?

logiciel

Last edited:

Thunder4ce

Standard Member
OSN has all those soaps. You need the proper OSN decoder.

Coronation St is on Ch200 OSN First HD tonight at 16:30
Emmerdale Ch203 OSN First +2 18:00 tonight. It's HD on OSNFirst but you've missed it!
Eastenders Ch215 BBC Entertainment 17:10 tonight

Would that be OK for the wife?

Would be if they were up to date, apparently their months behind. Personally I couldn't give a *..* but she is so fussy.

Can I stream UK Channells?

iaint

Hi.
Sky services are broadcast from the Astra satellites at 28e and the Eutelsat satellite also at 28e. The fleet owners make the footprints available from their websites (Satellite Footprint - Satellite Maps - SES.com and http://www.eutelsat.com/en/satellites/the-fleet/EUTELSAT-28A/downlink-coverage.html); I don't think Bahrain is close enough...
One option that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that, as what you're after is on FTA channels, something like the Slingloaded Echostar freesat box (Echostar HDS-600RS | Join Freesat). But you'd need somewhere in the UK with an Internet connection, and satellite dish to host the box.
--
Regards, Iain.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom