1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving Pro-Logic from broadcast TV

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by twice_nightly, Apr 6, 2005.

1. twice_nightly

twice_nightly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm a bit new to this so sorry if this is an obvious one! I've just hooked up my TEAC AG-350 a/v amp to 5 speakers and a sub, and ran a 2 RCA phono cable from the back of my Thomson freeview box to the SAT/AUX input on the amp. I switched everything on and expected to hear TV broadcasts that were in Dolby pro-logic to be in, well er....pro-logic but I just get stereo through the two front speakers, in fact the sound is worse than through my TV (Panasonic TX36PD50)

The amp's manual says it automatically switches to sourround mode when it detects a dolby source? I can manually press 'surround' on the amp but I hear no surround effects from the rear speakers etc. My freeview box just has two phono connectors on the back labelled 'L' & 'R' but my TV also has the same on the back. Have I missed something or am I expecting something that won't happen?

What I'm after is to be able to switch on my TV, then the freeview box & amp and watch Eastenders in pro-logic (well maybe not Eastenders!)

Hope somebody can help, many thanks
    Cheers.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Probably didn't want to post this in the processor's section but anyway I'll try and help.

1 - Not all TV broadcasts will use rear speakers (although most adverts seem to so maybe try that).
    2 - There's no way an amp can detect a pro-Logic signal (the manual was probably refering todolby digital signals on a digital connection) so you'll have to press the surround button any your amp and make sure the display says pro-logic.
    3 - I'd suggest if the sound is coming only from the L&R speakers then you have set your amp to stereo. If it's mainly coming from the centre then that probably is pro-logic.

Good programs to try on TV are most of the Sci-Fi stuff i.e. any star trek, these will normally have some sound on the rears.

Hope that helped.

Slingshot

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Have you set the Amp up by telling it how many speakers etc you have connected? Doublecheck this and also that you are actually in Pro-Logic mode and not Stereo. Also make sure the Freeview box is set to output Stereo (if it has the option).

4. twice_nightly

twice_nightly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry I've just realised I posted in the wrong forum, so a double thanks for the help and friendly replies!!

PS..I watched 'fight club' on BBC3 tonight and it came out in pro-logic so all is working, must just have been very unlucky last night!

Cheers