• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiving Astra 1

thsths

Standard Member
Hi all

How difficult is it to receive Astra 1 in the Midlands? I only have a small satellite dish (35cm), meant for Sky, I believe. I know that the UK is a bit of the end of the spot, so will the small dish be sufficient? I would really like to get some foreign language programs, but I want to avoid a big/ugly dish on the front of the house.

thsths

Standard Member
The standard Sky mini-dish is 43/45cm and there are many reports of 19E being received successfully although there could be bad weather break-up on some transponders.
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try then. Bad weather is not really a concern, because we still have freeview, of course. You can only do so much anyway. According to my experience, even with a 70cm in Europe reception will suffer in a hail storm :)

PS: I got it working - after mounting an F plug properly - and it was not too difficult. I have a few fishes in a few stations, so I will try to work on the alignment. Also I guess it is time to go digital, but analog is easier for finding the satellite.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom