Receivers with a phono (turntable) input? (just Denon?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jabberwock1977, Jun 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into buying a reciever for both home cinema and music and one requirement is that it has a phono input for a turntable. From what I can see that means I'm limited to Denon... anyone know an others? Budget £200 - £400ish.

Thanks...

2. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like a few of Sony's have a phono input. I'd never really considered Sony for an AV receiver as i didn't think it was one of the major players. Anyone have any experience with them? Perhaps the DB790? http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/strdb790/index.htm

It'll probably be for some Kef eggs or Sib & Cubs

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Being limited to Denon isn't necessarily a bad thing, their budget receivers are eaily among the best available. :)

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    If you dont want a Denon, then get yourself a cheap phono stage to go with any amp you select. Do a search as theres several on the market.

5. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True.. i just don't like having my options limited. Not sure i can afford the 2803 but may consider the 1804.

I may do that Karkus but its not ideal and means using up an other mains socket.

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You could try something like a project phono box around 30 quid I think, and it will probably sound better than any built in phono stage aswell.

7. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup.. i could do that SS.

However having researched that Sony 790 that i stumbled across yesterday I think it might be exactly what I'm after.
    Now must arrange a demo... anyone know a shop in Central London that stocks that receiver and Sib/Cubs and preferably Kef eggs as well?