Receivers that transcodes/upscale composite to digital/hdmi???

samsung6900

Standard Member
Reaction score
So i recently bought a Samsung tv which doesn't have any composite inputs!!! Im looking at buying a new avr that can transcode analog signal (such as a vcr) through a digital output (hdmi). I was looking at buying the Yamaha 673 and im not sure if vhs is 480i which the avr says it can upscale but does that mean upscaling from one digital source to a higher quality digital source (480i - 1080i)? this is what the manual says below....anyone out there can help me? i know the Sony strdn1030 does this but i was wondering if the Yamaha 673 or what other avrs or adapter options i have

thanks a lot

he unit is compatible with the video signals of the following resolutions:• When CPPM copy-protected DVD-Audio is played back, video/audio signals may not be output, depending
on the type of the DVD player.
• The unit is not compatible with HDCP-incompatible HDMI or DVI devices. For details, refer to the instruction
manual for each device.
• To decode audio bitstream signals on the unit, set the input source device appropriately so that the device
outputs the bitstream audio signals directly (does not decode the bitstream signals on the playback device).
For details, refer to the instruction manual for the playback device.
Audio signal type
Audio signal format
Compatible media (example)
2ch Linear PCM 2ch, 32 to 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit CD, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio
Multichannel Linear PCM 8ch, 32 to 192 kHz, 16/20/24 bit
DVD-Audio, BD (Blu-ray disc),
HD DVD
DSD 2/5.1ch, 2.8224 MHz, 1 bit SACD
Bitstream Dolby Digital, DTS DVD-Video
Bitstream
(High definition audio)
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus,
DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD
High Resolution Audio, DTS
Express
BD (Blu-ray disc), HD DVD

• VGA
• 720p/60 Hz, 50 Hz
• 480i/60 Hz
• 1080i/60 Hz, 50 Hz
• 576i/50 Hz
• 1080p/60 Hz, 50 Hz, 24 Hz
• 480p/60 Hz • 3840 x 2160p/30 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz (4K signals)
• 576p/50 Hz

So i recently bought a Samsung tv which doesn't have any composite inputs!!!

Can you post the model number of this TV so that fact can be checked.

Even given the way things are going, a TV with no analogue inputs would be very unusual.

( Please note that posting the same issue in more than one thread - known as cross-posting - is against the forum rules. I have deleted your other copy of this post. - Thanks)

A VHS player will he 576 50i, so your the Yamaha will be fine. Copy protected and poor quality tapes may cause issues with unstable pictures or drop out to a black or blue frame.

It is a samsung un40eh6030 40 " 1080p 120hz led 3d hdtv

it has 2 hdmi inputs and one set of component, pretty ridiculous but i picked it up for a really good price so i cant really complain

I see you are posting from the US.

This is a UK based forum so there will be no experience of that TV here, but I see that according to this specification sheet , the TV DOES have a composite input as expected.

It is defined as 'Shared' so possibly uses one of component input jacks - The back of the set may give some indication... and it may require further selection in menus.

Wouldn't you think Samsung could have made this a deal easier by a simple label next to that socket.: rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom