• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receivers that convert analog video input to HDMI output

Dagsyo

Novice Member
Hello all,

I am new to Forums and I have a question that seems like it would be simple but I haven't been able to answer on my own. I am looking to get a new A/V receiver. I have a couple of older components that use component or composite video output that I want to be able to continue to use. One of the main reasons I am in the market for a new receiver is that I want to be able to input audio/video from all components to the receiver and then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I haven't been able to find many receivers that are able to convert the analog video and audio input and be able to output it over HDMI. In fact the only one I have really found is this one: Onkyo TX-SR343. Even a lot of more expensive receivers that I have looked into that say they support up-conversion/up-scaling upon further review indicate that any have any composite/component video inputs are connected that you also have to attach composite/component cables under monitor out inputs on the receiver to the TV. I am looking for other options that will be able to support analog audio/video input and output it to HDMI. I am trying to stay under $300 and I am not opposed to buying used. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Almost all HDMI equipped receiver that include video upscaling will also include analogue to HDMI video conversion. Any receiver priced over £400 now includes this. AV receivers aren't intended to output audio because they are the device used to process and amplify the audio. You'll not find many AV receiver that can convert analogue audio to HDMI because there's no need to output such audio via their HDMI outputs. Conversion is reserved for analogue video sources. Maybe look out for one of last years models. Any Yamaha model from the RXV567 upward has the conversion abilities.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom