Receiver with twin outputs and downscaling from 4K->1080p

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richard plumb, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    ight be a long shot. Getting fed up running my increasingly long list of 4K sources through my TV and using ARC for audio because my Yamaha 767 doesn’t support 4K. Also means I can’t use my projector as I’m not using the receiver for switching

So I’m considering a new one (although HDMI 2.2 may be around the corner)

The snag is that I need twin HDMI outputs for my TV and projector, but my projector is only 1080p (Benq w1070).

Is there such a thing as a receiver that can downscale the second output?

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I think there is one - cant remember which and may be one of the really expensive ones.

My cheap AVR can at least deal with telling connected devices to reconnect when I switch between the two outputs when on of them is a 4k display and the other is a FHD display. However not all connected devices may respond to being prompted apparently. It seems the AVR basically pretends to disconnect and reconnect the source device forcing it to renegotiate display format. I could leave both a FHD monitor and 4K TV connected and on as I just made sure only one HDMI output was active. Of course if both outputs are active, then they both output the same lowest common denominator signal - ie FHD if that is lowest.

I would suggest trying the scenario with an AVR in a store if they can set it up to see what happens. I have a Yamaha RX-V781 and I would guess all dual output current Yamaha AVRs behave the same.

I would not be surprised however if many players (BD and streaming) still need to be stopped and started around an output switch.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    AV receivers do not have the ability to scale down the resolution, neither do they include the ability to ecale the video output associated with one HDMI output differently to how they are scaling the output associated with another output.

If you want to use the PJ then you'd need to configure the source to output at a resolution the PJ can handle regardless of which HDMI output it is connected to on the AV receiver. The HDMI outputs on an AV receiver are mirrored and not independent of one another and receivers that include a second zone HDMI output do not apply any video or audio processing in association with their second HDMI zone.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    AVR - as Khazul says look for an AVR with the ability to 'toggle' between HDMI Out A and Out B rather than simply have an A+B set-up, you may still have to intervene manually with some of your Source devices to force them to toggle Output formats.

Down conversion - if the AVR 'toggle' does not work for you and assuming you don't require any form of Frame Rate Conversion you can use a stand alone converter to take 2160p/HDCP2.2 to 1080p/HDCP1.4 and not have to worry about the Source setting or AVR Output option.
    HDfury Linker – The Media Factory

Joe

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    I'd suggest this to be the most flexible option and placing an HDFury Linker between the receiver and the PJ should result in you being able to convey UHD 4K video to the AV receiver while still being able to output video to both a 4K capable TV and the 1080p PJ without experiencing issues associated with HDCP 2.2. This would work with any AV receiver that includes more than one HDMI output and wouldn't require the ability to be able to switch or enable one output in favour of the other. You should theoretically be able to attain a 1080p signal on the PJ while simultaneously getting 4K UHD video via the TV and should be able to keep both HDMI outputs active all of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    'You should theoretically be able to attain a 1080p signal on the PJ while simultaneously getting 4K UHD video via the TV and should be able to keep both HDMI outputs active all of the time' - correct, the Source and AVR are unaware that a non-UHD/HDCP2.2 Sink is connected to the system.

Joe

7. cossie

cossie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Are the TV and the projector in the same room and do you only use them independently?

If so any Pioneer or Onkyo receiver with twin HDMI outputs will do want you want, you can switch the outputs 1+2, 1 only, 2 only or both off. Switching is simple by the remote or the app on my iPad which I use to control all my kit.

I currently have a Pioneer receiver, a 4K non 3D TV and a 1080P 3D projector. If I use the TV, its 1 only, if projector 2 only. works fine for both 4K and 3D sources as the receiver only sees the one display device at a time and therefore is not influenced by the "lower" spec display.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Yes they are. Thanks for that - wil take a look at pioneer and onkyo

9. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    ^ Same with Yamaha AVRs

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Is that recent? Don’t recall my current 767 doing that

11. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    No idea - my RX-V781 has dual outs as I described a few posts up (and allows selection of HDMI off, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 1+2 from remote or app) and I guess the more recent RX-A series with dual main outs work the same. I don't think any in the 2017 RX-V range have this - there was no replacement for the 781 within RX-V series - it was basically an RX-V AVR with a lot of functionality from RX-A series so I guess RX-A 870 is the functional equivalent.

Also I think the recently announced RX-V685 works like this as well (dual HDMI out) and has 8 scenes (mine only has 4) and front pre-outs (for future amp if required), but best to check manual which is available for download (RX-V685 - Overview - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - UK and Ireland).

In addition my Yamaha can save the HDMI out settings in a scene, so you can create a scene for TV and another for projector for eg. I used to use the scenes so that a music scene used HDMI 2 only and TV, BD etc used HDMI 1 so that I could use a small PC monitor on HDMI 2 when playing music via the AVR's streaming or media player to avoid burn in risk on the TV.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,228
    The ability for Yamaha's receivers to do this goes back at least 8 years because it is about this time that I first encountered it on an RXV2065. Anyway, the switching and the presence of an HDMI OUTPUT button on Yamaha's remotes is now a feature of all their receiver's that include more than one HDMI output. THe lowest tier model to have this is currently the RXV685.