Question Receiver with the best software and reliability?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Curious Yellow, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Curious Yellow

Curious Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Was messing around with my receiver today to figure out some advanced settings and was struck by how terrible the UI is compared to say an iPhone. What's also strange, is how often things seemed to go wrong. For example, I've had multiple Sony and Yamaha receivers die under warranty with no reason provided as to why. The way to deal with it seems to be to throw replacement parts at it until something fixes it.
    If you were to upgrade, then does anyone offer a better experience these days? Searching the internet seems to indicate pretty much every receiver has weird issues from randomly resetting themselves to demo mode, to losing memory settings for no reason.
    Any opinions on who does it best when it comes to software ease of use and general reliability?

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    You can't go wrong with Denon. :)

3. Curious Yellow

Curious Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting, what about the Denons make them so good? Anything you like/dislike about them in particular?

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    The only receiver brand that I have had that never went wrong (and is still going strong in the bedroom) is a Sony 3500ES. Receivers that I have had, that have gone wrong are:

Cambridge Audio 540R (settings not retained)
    Yamaha RX-A810 (ARC never worked),
    Cambridge Audio CXR 200 (numerous firmware faults)
    Denon 6300 (buzzing from speakers),
    Marantz SR7011 (faulty speaker binding posts)

My current Denon 4400, however, has, so far, and I don't want to jinx it, been reliable :)

5. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    The set up process and GUI are good on the denon.

6. Curious Yellow

Curious Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    @Rambles is that a common issue amongst receivers? Strange that people keep buying the products when most people experience so many problems with them!

7. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    I guess it must be! They are quite complex electronic devices. Get a good warranty is my tip.

8. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Become a VIP member and shop at richer sounds you'll get a good deal and a six year warranty. :smashin:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  9. Curious Yellow

Curious Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ain't that the truth. I've been really glad for the supercare when a Yamaha I had went pop literally the afternoon I bought it! The Pioneer has been ok, but the software could be better.

So Denons huh?

10. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Having been on a bit of an AVR journey myself, I think currently Denon's are a good compromise in terms of cost, features, sound quality and (fingers crossed) reliability. I do supplement my 4400 with some external power amps and an integrated amp with HT bypass for music. I did like the Marantz as well, it was better for music (but not as good as my integrated amp) but then I got the faulty speaker post, and that put me off.

Another option is to spend a lot more money and go for an Arcam AVR.

11. Curious Yellow

Curious Yellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What sort of money are we talking for something with Wifi and 4K do you reckon?

12. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    They all have wifi and 4K (well, nearly all, but you can get those features in very budget receivers), what you want to be more concerned about is how well the receiver will drive your speakers and will it sound good?!

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    Yamaha AV receivers maintain a very good reputation for both build quality and reliability. Yamaha would probably spring to the mind of most retailers if you were to ask them which manufacturer gives them the least issues. You do however pay a slight premium for a receiver made by Yamaha compared to receivers made by their competitors that offer similar capabilities and features. Denon receivers aren't as well buit, but do give you more for your money when it comes to features.

WiFi and 4K are standard features common to all but the entry level models and even these will be 4K UHD compliant. The question should be, "What is your budget and what is available for that budget?".

14. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,323
    I'm on my fourth Denon receiver. Each new unit has gone up the model chain. Never had a problem with any of them.:smashin: Just don't mention the feckin blu ray players.:(

15. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,658
    The problem with using forums for research is that you only get people posting when they have issues.

If you take here as an example, then it would seem that pretty much everything you can buy is faulty in some way.

Thats not true of course, most people are happy with what they have, its just that here you get a very skewed view because here (and on every other forum site) people just post about faults.

Rarely do people post to say how good something is.

Receivers generally have basic interfaces because the interface is usually just a one time setup thing, its not a daily use feature.
    Once the setup is done most never use the interface again.

I like Yamahas.
    Nice sound and trouble free in my experience.

16. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I wonder if everyone here has a different combination of good and bad experiences with regard to manufacturers. These days I wont touch sony with a barge pole yet some people seem to find them very solid. My experience thus far with Yamaha (years of using their professional mixers, synths and other studio gear but only recent with consumer gear) is very good, but I'm sure someone will say the opposite.

17. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If someone has frequent failures of modern receivers I would start to consider looking for some other factor outside of the receiver as causing the faults! I have had many receivers and none have ever failed. I had a Sony, which I gave to my brother and it is still working. I sold my last Yamaha fully working and for a good price. The only problematic receiver I had was a Pioneer, but it was faulty from new so returned for a refund. Anyone can have a fault when new, as they are transported a long way so anything can happen.

Always check yo have good ventilation, good connections, especially the speakers and make sure the mains supply does not have any faults, such as bad connections and poor earths. If you have connections between equipment located in different rooms ideal use wireless or fibre optic connections to provide electrical isolation. Any potential difference in earth potentials will result in a current flow, which could soon be damaging.