Receiver with DAB ?

S

Steve Rollings

Has anyone heard of such a product ? I know there are plenty of receiver with RDS radio but I have not heard of a receiver with DAB yet

DAB products may show up this year, more likely next year, but after reading up on it i'd buy a freeview box or get sky instead.

I think DAB is a UK system so I think it unlikely you will find one I have looked myself.

DAB sux tho, worst way to listen to radio you can get.

FM, freeview, sky etc are all better.

Again Uk(?) went for higher number of channels and less quality, low bit rate, nasty mp2 compression. And consumers , just because its digital doesnt mean its 'CD quality' or better than analog...

Every test I saw when DAB launched listeners preferd FM.

DAB may "suk" but in London at least you can plug a portable such as the Pure Evoke in and get access to a hell of a lot of disortion free stations. There are so many pirate radio stations that even some of the quite big name Radio Stations are badly affected by the pirates. LBC 97.3 for instance is unlistenable at the weekend and at night.

It may not be HiFi but you can get a cracking signal right out of the box for a hundred quid, something you haven't got a chance with an FM radio/tuner.

Thanks for your replies, I already have the Sony DAB tuner and the sound quality (with the correct aerial) is far better than FM, I listen to the Groove station a lot (soul), and with optical output into my Mini-disc I can record this almost advert free. I think i will wait until one of these comes out and replace my receiver then.

Originally posted by pentode
DAB is a worldwide system. Have a look here

I was told that 2 years ago at a audio fair by a Sony rep, when I asked when they were going t bring one off their DAB tuners out in black instead of gold. He said the UK was the only one to have DAB so it was a limited market and was not worth having 2 colours.

Hey I hope a recever comes out very shortly with it as well as FM.

Whatever you might think of DAB radio, eventually the government will want us to go over to digital radio and away from FM etc. It won’t happen for a long while, but I think it will happen. When it does, manufacturers will have to start producing compatible equipment.
Anyhow, eventually DAB single chip devices will be so cheap that there will be no excuse for not including it.
Having said all of that I’m thinking about selling my Sony D777ES DAB/FM/AM tuner and buying a Rotel FM/AM only tuner.

Originally posted by Steve Rollings
Thanks for your replies, I already have the Sony DAB tuner and the sound quality (with the correct aerial) is far better than FM....

When DAB started it used 192kbps mp3 for a number of stations which is comparable with FM radio. A while back I believe this was dropped to 128kbps which is without doubt worse than FM. Unless this has changed again I find it hard to believe that DAB is better quality than FM hence me staying well away from it until they do something with decent quality.

Some links:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab_vs_dsat.htm
http://www.mediauk.com/article/105

Originally posted by MarkB

Having said all of that I’m thinking about selling my Sony D777ES DAB/FM/AM tuner and buying a Rotel FM/AM only tuner.

Is the Rotel better on the FM/AM side than the Sony? I thought the 777ES was the mutts nuts.

I heard a significant difference when changing to an arcam DAB unit and wouldn't go back to FM. The quality is far better but this could just be down to location and signal strength.
Now when I have to choose between my sony FM tuner or arcam DAB one, the arcam wins hands down. No crackle no hiss, luvely

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom