Quantcast

Receiver with 1080p/120hz support?

Squadz

Novice Member
I currently have an lg oled, it has 1080p/120hz support and I've been playing games like this via hdmi from my PC for a while.

I want to get a receiver and speakers. I'm finding it hard to get a low cost receiver that does 1080p/120hz, or they all do and not a single one has information on it. I'm looking at the s540bt, but from what I can tell it does not do it. Can anyone help with the cheapest option that does? The s540bt can be had for $200 cad if that helps.

rccarguy

Also of simsr question I have 144hz 2560*1440 monitor I can't route native Res and Rez as av amp doesn't support it, I wonder if any do, or will 2.1 support this, or maybe never as it's pc res not home video components. Annoying if I buy next gen consoles as my av won't pass this.

Squadz

Novice Member
Also of simsr question I have 144hz 2560*1440 monitor I can't route native Res and Rez as av amp doesn't support it, I wonder if any do, or will 2.1 support this, or maybe never as it's pc res not home video components. Annoying if I buy next gen consoles as my av won't pass this.
On another forum, a member said he does optical from tv to receiver for the 1080p/120hz device.

I don't know what the difference is for that vs hdmi. Why wouldn't I just do optical for everything then? Could this solution work for us?

rccarguy

You won't get hd audio, Atmos etc over optical. For pc I'm using hdmi to monitor and optical to avr due to avr not supporting higher res&refresh

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Does your LG Oled have eARC? If so, get an AVR with eARC and connect the source to the TV, pass through the audio to the AVR.

Squadz

Novice Member
Does your LG Oled have eARC? If so, get an AVR with eARC and connect the source to the TV, pass through the audio to the AVR.
It's the LG OLED B8, seems it does not have eARC.

Another concern is with the new consoles coming this year, they're able to do 4k 120hz, so they'll have this issue as well.

Do any receivers do 4k 120hz?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes but he wants 4k 120hz through the avr, which is 2.1 spec.
That's a different issue. I was correcting your comment when you said that eARC was only available with HDMI 2.1, which is not correct.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
As being implied, there is a workaround that is possible if both the display being used and the AV receiver are eARC compliant.

If the display is eARC cmpliant then you could potentially use an AV receiver that isn't equipped with HDMI version 2.1, but does include eARC compliance. You'd connect the video source directly to the TV via HDMI and convey both the video and the audio signal directly to the TV. You'd then use eARC to pass the audio through the TV and out to the eARC complant AVR. eARC can in theory convey and handle HD audio formats that cannot othrwise be conveyed via conventional ARC. It should however be noted that LG's implimentation of eARC does currently lack the ability to convry multichannel PCM. LG have however suggested that they will be rectifying this at some point?

While there are currently no AV receivers inclusive of HDMI version 2.1 chipsets or compliant with HDMI version 2.1, there are quite a large number of HDMI version 2.0b equipped models that are eARC compliant. The TV however would have to be a relatively recent model.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
If eARC isn't available, and if using a PC as a source, it is often possible to use two output's from the PC's graphics card. One to the TV for video and one to the AVR for audio.

mushii

Distinguished Member
120hz is not a native AV format, and there is almost zero 120hz source material, hence most AVRs will not have either the signal processing nor the edid to recognise those frequencies. AVRs are not really designed for PC frequencies or their obscure resolutions.

Trending threads

Top Bottom