1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver w/DVI out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tavish, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a good receiver that has DVI in and DVI out connections? I am having a hard time finding one with such connectivity.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi,

The Marantz SR8500 out in December includes 2 DVI inputs and one output. Hope this helps.

3. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I am setting up a new home theater around my PC. I want to use the DVI-out on my PC, run it through a receiver, and back at to my monitor and to a projector as well (both of which have DVI-in). I am having a hard time finding a receiver that has such connectivity options.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    The Marantz can't do that- it is able to switch two DVI equipped sources into one DVI input. You're going to need an external switcher to do what you want. Your AVR choices stand at 0.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic have an HDMI equipped receiver out, or due out, have a word ewith Joe at TMF as he is the man when it comes to digital connections, cables and switchers. http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/

6. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why aren't DVI supporting A/V receivers more commonplace in the market? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this connection provide the highest quality output?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its also very very new, and expensive! also DVi doesnt carry sound HDMI does and will be very commonplace within about 3-4 years. but there isnt much you cant do with component!

8. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the manufacturers only seem to care about what's the current most talked about features are. Last year it was ProLogicII, 6.1, 7.1, now it seems like everyone is mad about autocalibration, 6 months from now DAB tuners, then DVI switching. The thing is each one of these features is highly likely to trigger a way of upgrades for compulsive buyers like ourselves, that's why they only release everything a bit at a time. They also need to wait till features become mainstream before they can really start producing them at low cost and therefore make money on it. Plus they need mature technology 'cause otherwise they are facing huge contingent liabilities due to potential support calls and returns.

9. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what would you recommend for my current situation? I want to display output from my PC on both my monitor and my projector (both DVI). If there is not a receiver capable of doing this, what would be the next best connectivity option?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_AVcables_gefen_HDTV_switch.htm
    HDTV-142 - DVI distribution - £199.75 (On Order) NEW

The HDTV Splitter is a distribution hub that sends the same video output to two (or more) HDTV Displays (Plasma + Projector).

When two or more HDTV Splitters are connected together they can be used to create a larger distribution network.
    Exactly what you need!

11. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it wouldn't even be necessary to buy a receiver then, except for the speakers? Which reminds me, would it be possible to output on my PC speakers and my home theater speakers at the same time?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    to decode dolby Digital etc you would need a reciever, what you want to do is possible. but it will take some thought and effort.