1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Video Handling - Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by t0mxx, Jan 12, 2003.

1. t0mxx

t0mxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After attaching all devices (DVD, PSX, Gamecube, etc) to my receiver, video et al, and powering up the system, the deterioration in picture quality was blindingly obvious.

As one of the reasons for buying a DVD player was superior picture quality, I am begining to wonder if the convenience of having the receiver manage both video and audio is really worth it?

I am currently only using L/R/Vid RCA connections, but would it be possible to connect DVD to Receiver with RCA, and receiver to TV with S-Video? And would it improve the picture?

Any views?

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What would be better is dumping the video connections to the amp and connecting the components to the TV individually.

If you are in short supply of scarts on the TV then you can daisey chain certain peices of equipment or connect to a scart switch box, this will give you the better picture quality IMO.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's why most of us don't do it. We connect directly from source to screen.

You can't do what you have suggested as the composite and s-video outputs on most amps are on different buses.

As most amps can't handle RGB that's probably why your pictures are so poor as you are using composite which is the poorest quality.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only justification would be where you had more than one display device so you may need a video processing device. In reality, any reciever under £1000 will probably cause problems when using it's video section. High range AV processors can do this but for lower range amps, connect direct to the TV.

Steve

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Are you seriously suggesting that by hooking up my Toshiba SD900E, Xbox and Gamecube up to a high-end amp like the Denon A11SR using component video cables and then from the amp to the TV that there will be a degrade in picture quality?

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I use three component sources routed through my Denon AVCA1SE with no noticeable picture degradation. I am not sure where the cutoff level lies, but I think amps in this price bracket are pretty transparent to my eyes.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was replying to t0mxx and suggesting that he connected his equipment individually to the TV, as he is getting poor results through his amp. Looks like component is not an option so RGB will be the next best thing, as it is rare that an amp will switch RGB, unless it's the JVC's RX-E100RSL :) best picture quality will be connecting directly to the TV, IMO.

But as you have asked the same question I think you might be ok as you have reasonable equipment. :p :)

8. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never use the amp for switching as it is another connection and could affect the picture quality, especially if your cables are long, I would rather just have 1x5m cable than 2x5m cables. Just imagine 2x10m cables, :eek: I don't think even a £2k amp would help with those sort of lengths. :)

9. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    And so what do you suggest when you have three component devices and one component input on the plasma? You can't really be advocating unplugging each device every time I wanted to switch sources? My equipment is all racked together so I have very short runs to my amp and then one 3m run from amp to plasma. Your ideas seem based upon the principle that people have their equipment sited near the display device, which is often not the case. I site mine near the amplifier, as will many people with AV racks.

I do agree that cheaper amps may not be quite as transparent as they should, but when you invest over £2k in an amplifier I think you can be fairly certain that signal degradation is not a serious issue.

10. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ...for video switching into my Sim2 HT300.
    Actually Prestige Audio did it for me.
    As the Denon doesn't do RGB switching and I am using the RGB outputs from my 3x games consoles, NTL digibox and dvd player, I guess they used RGB to "component" leads into the back of the amp and a "component" lead into the Sim2?
    I say "component" because I assume this is not true component, just a way of getting an RGB signal into a non-scart device?
    Very confusing, but I don't know how I could go the purist route and have only the dvd player component into the proj without going down to s-video for everything else or buying the expensive remote interface thingy from Sim2.
    Does anyone know if I will be able to route a prog scan component signal through the amp (about to become an A1SR with 3 component ins)?

11. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes you can route prog scan component through the amp. It's exactly what I do now with my A1SE.

12. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying a plasma that had 3xcomponent inputs in the first place. ;)
    My equipment is not all racked up and is positioned in every corner in the room, I also don't have the luxury of connecting via component, the best I could hope for from the amp would be S-Video, but that would be a bit of a drop in quality as I am using RGB for all the devices at the moment, not only would I be dropping in signal quality I would have miles of cable going round the room. To me that would be a bit of a drop in picture quality as well. This why I would never connect via the amp. :)
    No they are not my ideas but my experiences, my equipment couldn't be further from the TV if I tried, this is one of the reasons mentioned above why I would never connect via the amp. Not of the same opinion as you when you say equipment sited near the display device is often not the case, because the majority of systems I have seen whether round friends or photos on here and elsewhere all the equipment has been up front with the display device, probably to keep the cable runs as short as possible. :)

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Probably yes bit maybe not so noticeable on smaller screens.

I look forward to the day when AV amps are more modular in design (like computers) so that those that want video switching can pay for it as an extra whilst those that neither want nor need it can elect for a purer audio signal at a cheaper price.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Most modern 'receivers' will switch interlaced signals with ease, it's just that this is the limit of what they can really do. Once you go to PS or above the switcher quality really come to the for and you see big differences (not enough bandwidth). Nowdays at least these modern companies are employing video engineers and things are changing (Tag, Arcam, Meridian etc). I am surprized more switching is done. If you are seeing big differences, I would look elsewhere first.