1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Ventilation - Denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dom H, Jun 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual states 10cm top/back/sides, I have 10cm at the top, open back/front but only 1cm each side, do you think this is a problem?

There is only a v small vent on the left hand side which doesn't seem to expell any heat atall, it all comes out the top (simple physics really) Should I be concerned even though I have the required clearence above?

Stuck a thermometer clock thingy on top of the receiver, it measured 32.7c (10c above ambient).

Is it worth installing a fan (suck/blow?) Also will it affect the sound quality if I run a transformer off the amps fitted output on the back? Any idea where I can get a transformer that takes a kettle plug type input?

Thanks

Dom

2. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I don't know about the amps output, what is it for?

If you want a AD to DC transformer which accept a kettle like power input then a computer powersupply would be perfect these are oftern have fans hooked up to the power outputs for computers so they are ideal.

The only problems are a computer powersupply does make fan noise, unless you pay extra money to get an wisper quiet one.

You also have the additional cooling fan making noise, you might be able to tolerate the extra sound but some people like it to be deadly quiet when watching films.

3. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it worh bothering with if I have the required 10cm above?

Also the back of the cabinet is open, would a fan sucking out the back not be very effective because the back is open?

Will it introduce any noise into the amps sound running a psu from it?

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The fans wont introduce noise into the amp but they will generate there own sound of moving air and possibily a extra whine sound (esspessialy if it is a high RPM fan).

You are right most of the heat will be vented upwards.

I don't think you should worry.

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I be able to find a psu without an internal fan, or could I just remove it?

Isn't there anything less bulky than a psu that would accept the right input?

Will a fan placed near a receiver cause any interference?

What do they use in all these custom installs I see in HCC magazine where all the components are placed in cupboards/racks etc.?

Thanks alot

Dom.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    You can get PSU without fans they are passively cooled inside but are more expencive.

Removing a fan from a normal powersupply is bad it will get hot and overheat with the risk of fire/burning.

I personaly would not worry about your amp temp 32 C is not that hot for electronic equipment.

Your amp should have a thermal protection in it, if it does ever cut out then you should look for a cooling solution otherwise it is probebly not worth it.

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could get a 12Volt power supply off a laptop or scanner some of these use the kettle style plugs or go to www.maplin.co.uk and type "PJ88V" into the "Code search" this adapter takes a kettle lead and would be suitable but you would have to either cut the end off or attach your fan wires by soldering them to a suitable socket which maplins also supply but any 12V DC with kettle type lead fitting will do.

You would then need a male to female kettle lead (available from computers stores/markets or maplins. You could then connect the output from said power supply to any 12V fan and connect the fan to blow either through the back/top or connect it to the amp's heatsink with self-tapping screws (like on a CPU these screws just trap between the fins of the heatsink & don't actually do any damage apart from scratch the heatsink fins a bit).

You would still get some fan noise unless you buy a quite fan but unlike the PC power supply option (which wouldn't really cool the amp because these power supply's generate a lot of internal heat and the fan's in them are only sufficient to cool the supply itself), this option would be neater and more efficient although all power supplies/adapters create heat (these brick type create a lot less), you can place the brick on the floor out of sight and away from the amp. Like micb3rd say's though these can be more expensive the one from maplins is about £25 but you might get an old laptop/scanner supply a lot cheaper.

8. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do not worry. The amp can run much hotter than this. I use the same Amp within the same sort of space around it with no problems at all, and have done so for quite a while.The same space is also occupied by a couple of power amps a Yamaha A2 and an Kenwood reciever. Most modern Amps disipate heat very well to the atmophere so as long as you leave a small gap around the units there should be no problem. With the front and rear of the cabinet open air can move.
    As for running a power transformer from the Amp, again not a problem.Remember some very cheap transformers buzz like mad epecially as they get old and hot.. Dont mess with fans. If you have to, use dust filters with the fans, not open fans.Yes they do cool the surrounding area but also move masses of dust around. The dust in the long term will probably cause you more problem than the minimal mount of heat generated. If you use a projector then you will not be aware of the added fan noise.
    Mark

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also agree that a fan is not needed unless the amp is situated in a completly closed cabinet. I was just showing how it could be done if wanted, I personally don't use a fan on my amp which is a Marantz not Dennon but still gets quite warm if its working hard and think if a fan was nessasary in normal situations then the manufacturer's would have used 1.