Novice Member
hi:hiya: everyone i need some advice on what receiver
to partner with some mordaunt short alumni
i have a budget of £750 and was thinking of a onkyo 876
any advice:lease: would be welcome
thanks craig
:hiya:

kempez

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX863SE and it really is a fantastic piece of kit. I have heard awesome things about the Yamaha RX-V1900 and if it's anything near as good as mine it will be awesome :)

As you can see, I have an MS setup and the Yammy is a nice partner for it :)

evilkegs

Novice Member
i thought the Yamaha RX-V1900 were about £850 to £900
very nice amp but i think its out of my price range
:hiya: thanks craig

evilkegs

Novice Member
sorry:oops: i should clear up my needs
i have sky hd , pioneer bdp 51fd , ps3 ,tosh ep30 hddvd which need to connected up.
i would also like hd audio decoding :clap:
thanks craig

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

Tone-uk

Not trying to change your mind but, so others reading this know, the 861se will accept multichannel lpcm via hdmi and so if your blu-ray player can decode hd audio (most do now) you will get hd audio. Also, the PS3 cannot bitstream hd audio and a receiver with on board hd audio decoding is of no benefit (apart from the lights!).

evilkegs

Novice Member
how about a onkyo 876 or is this too much amp for my speakers
thanks craig

Tone-uk

There should not be any problems between the 876 and the mordaunt shorts. I shouldn't really comment since I do not rate Onkyo receivers but, from what I read, the 876 is a powerful receiver and the owners all seem happy. I would suggest it would be the speakers that limit performance.

ghostdancer

be patient and wait for a 1900 at the right price i have seen them at £799 so not far of your budget but supply is very short at the moment i have heard my nephew's 1800 partnerd with mordaunt shorts and it sound superb be patient my friend you will not regret it

evilkegs

Novice Member
the Marantz 7002 looks a very nice amp :thumbsup:
i have heard that marantz cant do dolby truehd and Audyssey
at the same time or is this just the low end models :confused:
thanks craig

Id look at the denon amps, truly outstanding amps

Tone-uk

Fairly certain the audyssey issue is across the range. This really is a big put off for so many and I'm not sure why? Marantz seem to do things differently and like to keep circuitry down and keep things simple. This allows for a more "amplifier" performance which, is a good thing.
IMO, the performance of the 4002 was better than the Yamaha 861se. The 7001 I have listened to was simply awesome! I love them and I don't think audyssey issues should put anyone off.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
the Marantz 7002 looks a very nice amp :thumbsup:
i have heard that marantz cant do dolby truehd and Audyssey
at the same time or is this just the low end models :confused:
thanks craig
Fairly certain the audyssey issue is across the range. This really is a big put off for so many and I'm not sure why? Marantz seem to do things differently and like to keep circuitry down and keep things simple. This allows for a more "amplifier" performance which, is a good thing.
IMO, the performance of the 4002 was better than the Yamaha 861se. The 7001 I have listened to was simply awesome! I love them and I don't think audyssey issues should put anyone off.
I don't like the Audessy problem with the Maranz and it annoys me ---- Denon use the same Audessy and can decode HD bitstream audio at the same time.

However, by all accounts the Maranz sound is very good and if your Blueray player can decode all HD audio formats and send them as LPCM, then the Audesy will still work with the HD sound. You would need to check the BRplayer though; the Sony S550 for example can decode all HD audio, but doesn't give you a choice as to how you send it; if the Amp can decode bitstream, that's what it sends by default and there's no way to change it. I've read that the problem with the Maranz is down to lack of DSP processing power. At the price of the 7002, that's criminal if this is the case. As Tone-uk says though, they get very good proffesional reviews and no one seems to mention this as an issue.

evilkegs

Novice Member
that has put me off the marantz it makes you think what else they have
cut back on
thanks craig

evilkegs

Novice Member
anyway just ordered a onkyo 876 as it seems the best amp for 750
thanks craig

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom