• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiver upscaling ?

botw

Standard Member
Hi,

I recently moved and picked up a 50inch Pioneer Elite plasma monitor from the prior owner. It's an older model and doesn't have hdmi inputs. I am replacing a Denon AVR 3805 and wondering whether any receivers that will upscale video feeds over component, or is that feature limited to hdmi? As of now the plan is to feed all of my components into my receiver via hdmi and then output to the monitor over component.

Thanks

andy1249

Distinguished Member
As of now the plan is to feed all of my components into my receiver via hdmi and then output to the monitor over component.

Feeding in analog (component ) and feeding out HDMI is called upconverting , which is quite different to upscaling.

Most amps do this one way , thats upwards , component to HDMI is considered upwards , none that I know of will downconvert to component. For some reason that doesnt seem to be allowed. Probably for DRM reasons.

You may be able to find an amp that will take in component signals at various resolutions and upscale to a component output , but most likely you will not find an amp that will take in HDMI and output them all over component.

dante01

Distinguished Member
HDMI inputs cannot be down converted to other formats due to HDCP (copyright) restrictions. You'd not be able to do this via any AV amp. There are external solutions that allow HDMI to be converted to other types of connection without contraveining HDCP. One such solution is HDfury:

HDfury

You could use such a device to convert the HDMI output of any AV amp to the required component input of your TV.

The HDfury2 or HDfury3 work with any display that accepts either Component (YPbPr/YCbCr) or RGB/VGA.

Last edited:

botw

Standard Member
Thanks Andy and Dante.

I'll look in to the HDFury.

I may have a DVI input (need to check out the panel) so could possibly do HDMI to DVI, but I think I run into HDCP problems there too.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom