Question Receiver Upgrade

MuzDogg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

I've been told this may be a better place to post this question,

At the moment i am running an old sony 7.2ch system in a box. The Receiver is the sony STR K1000P. (this is the system that preceded the Muteki system in Australia)

My questions is: I am looking to upgrade to a receiver that has HDMI inputs with pass-through. and just a general upgrade to get some extra features that this current receiver is missing. I have actually found a receiver that I am quite interested in but would like to know if it is an upgrade, downgrade or side step from what I am using. I have found the Denon AVR X540BT for under $500 au and seems to fit the criteria I am looking for. I do realize i would be cutting out 2 channels (I can live with that) I am wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade not just for the extra features but hopefully improved sound quality and be able to use dolby and dts features i am currently not able to. The speakers for this system are rated to 6 Ohms and there are 2 active subs.

If anyone knows if it would be a good upgrade or not, that would be great. Or if anyone has any other suggestions on a receiver around the $500 au mark.

Cheers.

The Sony does not have the ability to use HD audio formats therefore an upgrade to the Denon 540, even though it is entry level unit, should give you a better audio experience from Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I take it that you will still use the speakers that came with the Sony but better speakers will again give an upgrade in audio quality.

To improve your system over time then upgrade to the Denon in the first instance. Good speakers would come next, front three first followed by the surrounds. To me speakers are the more important when building a system, quality speakers will last years and outlive many receivers.

Thanks for the reply, The speakers in the package are quite decent as they are, The upgrade is more for the fact that the denon unit has the inbuilt hdmi switch, and also the use of the newer audio standards.

i have been trying to understand this bit, maybe someone could shed some light,
The current unit has this:
130w X 6 & 110w X 2
RMS 10%THD 6ohms 1khz
RMS 10%THD 6ohms 100Hz

The Denon:
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive) 130 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 70 W
Number of Poweramps 5
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 90 W

please correct me if im wrong, But the denon is a little less powerful but has a tonne less distortion?

The Denon receiver is just as powerful if not more so. The ratings for each device are in relation to a different impedance put upon the receivers and the Sony rating is also taken while there's more headroom distortion present. A lower impedance and higher THD will give better power results on paper, but not necessarily better audio in real terms.

Last edited:
So,

I went and got myself the Denon avr x540bt, have run the setup and all that jazz, I can't even believe it! I am putting it through its paces with some low bit-rate mp3's, variable rate mp3's, some flac's, and some music streamed off YouTube. The improvement to the audio is ridiculous. Clean, Crisp, Much more punchy bass. I am over the moon with the improvement over the old receiver. Going to chuck on guardians of the galaxy 2 tonight to test how a blu-ray movie sounds. Can hardly wait!

cheers for the info guys. appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom