Receiver upgrade

nhoj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Newbie to the forums. I currently have a Sony str-da1200es and looking to upgrade, would the Denon X3300W be a good option, currently on sale at RS for £499. I have had the Sony for at least 10 years. It will be partnered with Monitor Audio Bronze 6 LCR, Wharfedale 7.1 rears and Mordaunt Short 309 sub.

TIA,

Nhoj

There should be no problem at all with your speakers and the 3300. MAs are a popular choice with many Denon owners. The Denon is very easy to set up with good room EQ in Audyssey XT32. You will also be able to run a 5.1.2 Atmos set up with the 3300 and is something well worth considering.

Thanks gibbsy, the Sony is still alive and well, it's just that I'm running out of HDMI ports. I will be looking at Atmos eventually, once more funds are available. So you reckon this would be good upgrade, obviously bells and whistles wise, what about sound wise?

Thanks again.

That question is much easier to answer. Yes. I believe that your Sony does not have the ability to decode HD sound. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are inherently better than that of SD sources. There will be more power available as well. I don't think you will be disappointed and that it will make a substantial upgrade for you.

Thanks again gibbsy, yeah you're right. It also doesn't pass through sound via HDMI so could get rid of the optical cables too, less cables = less spaghetti junction. Will make an appointment with RS for a demo.

Thank you.

Nhoj.

Bare in mind the 3300 is a 7 channel amplifier. If you wish to implement atmos/dtsX, you will only be able to have a 5.1 base layer as the additional 2 channels would be needed for hight channels. If you are seriously considering atmos in the future, I'd look at the 4300.

Thanks for the input dollag, but unfortunately for me, I live in a high rise with concrete ceilings. Don't think the housing association would take too kindly to me cutting holes in the ceiling:p. So front heights are the best I'm going to get for the foreseeable.

Upfiring could be your answer. I have KEF R50s they are very good even with just two sat on top of the front speakers. The 3300 has the ability for 5.1.2.

Thanks for the input dollag, but unfortunately for me, I live in a high rise with concrete ceilings. Don't think the housing association would take too kindly to me cutting holes in the ceiling:p. So front heights are the best I'm going to get for the foreseeable.

I totally understand a lot of us have them issues:thumbsdow, what I meant by height channels Is just additional channels for The immersive formats for atmos and dtsX. These can be had by using upfirers, in ceilings or placing speakers on the wall but higher than the base layer. I was under the impression you was using a base 7.1 channel ATM. What's your current base layout 5.1 or 7.1

I totally understand a lot of us have them issues:thumbsdow, what I meant by height channels Is just additional channels for The immersive formats for atmos and dtsX. These can be had by using upfirers, in ceilings or placing speakers on the wall but higher than the base layer. I was under the impression you was using a base 7.1 channel ATM, which means you will not have any spare channels available for immersive formats. What's your current base layout 5.1 or 7.1

Hi. Newbie to the forums. I currently have a Sony str-da1200es and looking to upgrade, would the Denon X3300W be a good option, currently on sale at RS for £499. I have had the Sony for at least 10 years. It will be partnered with Monitor Audio Bronze 6 LCR, Wharfedale 7.1 rears and Mordaunt Short 309 sub.

TIA,

Nhoj
I have the Sony STR-DA5400ES, because I require 4K, streaming etc. I have upgraded to the just released Marantz NR1508 it is excellent, I do not want IMO the absurd Atmos.

I totally understand a lot of us have them issues:thumbsdow, what I meant by height channels Is just additional channels for The immersive formats for atmos and dtsX. These can be had by using upfirers, in ceilings or placing speakers on the wall but higher than the base layer. I was under the impression you was using a base 7.1 channel ATM. What's your current base layout 5.1 or 7.1
Hi dollag, It's a 5.1 system I have, the 7.1 mentioned in the first post was the model number of the Wharfedales. Once I've saved some more pennies I'll look at up firing or front heights.

I have the Sony STR-DA5400ES, because I require 4K, streaming etc. I have upgraded to the just released Marantz NR1508 it is excellent, I do not want IMO the absurd Atmos.
Hi High Fidelity, I'll look at the Marantz when I demo the Denon.

Thanks.

Got the X3300W yesterday, connected every thing up to it and listened to some of Glastonbury on BBC 1HD in stereo mode, that was a good improvement over my Sony. Done some setup with Audyssey today and listened to the DTS Master Audio advert track on the Pulp Fiction Blu Ray, funkin hell, I've really been missing out. I thought my old Sony sounded good. Still lots of playing with it to do.

It's a great receiver and glad your happy with it.

Now you just need some height speakers or up-firers and you'll be blown away :D

Did you end up sourcing a Media box?

Got the X3300W yesterday, connected every thing up to it and listened to some of Glastonbury on BBC 1HD in stereo mode, that was a good improvement over my Sony. Done some setup with Audyssey today and listened to the DTS Master Audio advert track on the Pulp Fiction Blu Ray, funkin hell, I've really been missing out. I thought my old Sony sounded good. Still lots of playing with it to do.
Time to buy some live concert blu rays (not ELO in Hyde Park, that's a crap stereo offering) and then you will hear just how good the Denon can sound.

It's a great receiver and glad your happy with it.

Now you just need some height speakers or up-firers and you'll be blown away :D

Did you end up sourcing a Media box?

The Atmos speakers will have to wait a while, I'll research them whilst I save up more pennies. This hobby is rather expensive!!!

I wasn't looking for a media box, just stick with Blu Ray and internet services at the moment.

Time to buy some live concert blu rays (not ELO in Hyde Park, that's a crap stereo offering) and then you will hear just how good the Denon can sound.

Got a few live concerts on DVD at the moment, watched Pink Floyd's Pulse last night, heard things from all the speakers that I hadn't heard before. Got Joe Bonamassa at The Royal Albert Hall on Blu Ray so may try that tonight.

Eventually got a pair of CA minx 12's today. Not screwed them to the ceiling yet, hopefully do that on Saturday. Also found an Atmos demo disc on the "bay", says it's new so fingers crossed it is. Expect that tomorrow, so all going well, should have some aural pleasure on Saturday night :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom