Question Receiver upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dollag, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading my AV receiver and have narrowed down my choice to two.

Yamaha A2050
    Marantz SR7010

I am seeking some advice as I have only been able to demo the yamaha, the Marantz I cannot which is very frustrating.

My main concern is that I use my av receiver for both music and HT, probably 60/40 music actually and this is proving to swing my decision as the Marantz seems to have an advantage over most over AVR's in this department. I did consider a separate 2 channel system but i really want an all in one solution due to space. The problem is, I am struggling to pull the trigger spending approx £1000 blind.

The Yamaha sounds great and is ticking all the boxes. I am not too concerned with adding additional atmos channels as my lounge is fairly small and will only be setting up a 5.1.2 maybe 5.1.4, which both avr's will do. HDMI 2.0a is a must due to HDR, which again, both pass. It really boils down to the 2 channel stereo sound.

To make matters worse, I like both the marantz and yamaha sound and have/had set ups paired with KEF speakers, which i am currently using.

Price:

I can pick up the A2050 for £750, The marantz £900 both new. not a lot in it price wise.

Would you say that the A2050 is in competition with the SR6010, and the A3050 with the SR7010? This would suggest that the logical choice would be the SR7010.

The cash is not an issue, I just would like some opinions from people who have compared both and could relay some feedback.

TIA

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,138
    May I ask where you are managing to get the RXA2050 for just £750 from?

The RXA2050 would be the comparable model to the SR7010. THe SR6010 is more comparable to the RXA1050, although the DEnon AVRX4200 is an even closer match to the RXA1050 than the 2050. The Denon AVRX7200 would be a higher tier receiver on par with the RXA3050. There's even the DEnon AVRX6200 which is technically a higher model than the SR7010.

3. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    A company called AN Audio - www.anaudio.co.uk - they trade on ebay also. - I believe they are ex-demo models so apologies, I misread the description.

Yamaha RXA2050 9.2 Channel AV Receiver - Black - 2 Year Manufacturer's Warranty

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,138
    I'd be very wary of them and that price. It is well below the price being offered by other retailers.

5. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    I appreciate the warning. I did think it was a tad cheap; however, their feedback is excellent.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,138
    Yeah and they appear to have an established high street store.

7. Bbos37

Bbos37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Go with the Marantz

8. justmeagain

justmeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can only speak of my own experience with the Yamaha RX-A2050. I have paired it up with a Monitor Audio Apex 5.1 setup and it sounds fantastic both for music and movies. Like you, I use it mainly to listen to music, but do also enjoy feeding TV and movies through it (Blu-ray and Netflix).

Having said that when I first used it I was disappointed, since I felt the Onkyo I had previously sounded better (a warmer sound for music). However, after tweaking the sound to 'natural' as against 'flat' and personalising it to my personal taste it sounded better. After that, the sound got even better as the the speakers started to 'run-in' (they were also new).

On purchasing a 'Qobuz Sublime' subscription the sound absolutely blew me away - Superb!! The detail in all aspects of the music I play the Yamaha feeds to the speakers is incredibly detailed. The bass is tight when it needs to be, the mid-range can be clearly heard and distinguished between instruments.

Stringed instruments are especially clear. Please bare in mind, this is my first hi-end system that I have used or heard, therefore I have no other system to compare it with. Having said that, I did demo a system that comprised a Yamaha RX-3040 receiver and Monitor Audio Gold Atmos (ceiling speakers) system before purchasing my system. That was superb, but I only listened to it for 15 minutes in the shops demo room listening to bits of movie and music. However, the music that was played through that particular system was not hi-res, just standard 44/16bit CD resolution.

Personally, I believe you will not find too much to fault with the Yamaha RX-a2050 provided the speakers you choose are not too bright. I chose Monitor Audio speakers to go with the 2050 on the advice of a number of AV shops and not just one. I was informed that they were a good balance for music (the Yamaha being much warmer that Pioneer and the Monitor Audio apex being ideal speakers to compliment music).

My own experience tells me the advice I received was correct.

The receiver has just received its DTS-X and HDR upgrade too.

If your funds can go as far as going for a Qobuz Sublime subscription, go for it - it is way better than Spotify. The subscription includes being able to stream CD quality music at 44/16bit with discounted Hi-Res purchases which include music up to 192/24bit.

Hope that helps.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,138
    Yamaha receivers are usually regarded as having a warmer signature sound when compared to Onkyo receivers and are often paired with speakers that have a more clinical signature sound such as Monitor Audio speakers. This results in a relatively well balanced setup. I'd not suggest the same speakers for use with an ONkyo receiver and wouldn't call Onkyo's signature sound warm.

I own both a Denon and a Yamaha receiver and much prefer the sound of the Yamaha even though it is an older model. Denon are effectively no different to Marantz apart from Marantz's use of HDAM analogue circuitry. I can't really make comparisons that would mean much in regards to current receivers because the RXA2050 uses SABRE DACs not used onboard my older RXV2065. I'm in the process of going back to Yamaha after using a Denon AVRX3313 for several years. I can't say it was a bad receiver, but just didn't make me smile like the Yamaha did.

10. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    I appreciate the comment but on what basis should i go for the Marantz?

11. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    I had the AX750SE and sounded wonderful. I do not think any other receiver has had an impression like that has had on me; however my little marantz CR-511 i have also sounds fantastic for a baby amplifier, makes me wonder how good the SR7010 is.

12. Bbos37

Bbos37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Audassy xt 32 is good enough reason to go with the Marantz