Receiver upgrade recommendation for MA Bronze

kosmik

Standard Member
Hi,

I have quite an old system consisting of:
* Monitor Audio Bronze B4 (front) and B1 (rear)
* Mordaund Short subwoofer
* Sony DB 790 receiver
* Sony 790 CD/SACD player
* non-3D plasma with HDMI input (1.3)
* XBOX 360
* Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ media player

What I'm missing is:
1. (med importance) Ability to stream lossless/lossy music from PC. I tried to use XBOX connected via optical cable, but I don't ilke the sound comparing to CD. However I used lossy format.
2. (med importance) I'm using Spotify more and more. Currently I'm connecting iPad to stereo input of receiver, but I'd like to have something better.
3. (high importance) I think that sound lacks power. I'm not really listening vert loud (only my wife thinks so), but I would like to have a better drive/impact for movies and more "meat" for music performance, maybe better scene. I'm OK with details..
4. (high importance) I think I need calibration since I don't think I've configured my multi-channel setup correctly
5. (low priority) HDMI switching (I'd like to have only 1 HDMI input on TV)

Nowadays I'm mainly watching movies, playing games, but still listening to music (I think I have around 200 CDs + some tracks on PC which I've got from iTunes). The majority of my music is ripped from my CDs, so I can re-rip with any format if needed. Music is mainly jazz (including vocals) and rock.

I am thinking about replacing receiver to in an attempt to solve #3 (most important), #4 (I hope there were some advances in this field last 9 years), #1 (DLNA or AirPlay) and maybe #2 either now or in the future.

I wonder if there are any good receiver which can be recommended for this system (speakers)? I'm not sure about budget (in my country this stuff is "slightly" more expensive), the price level of Denon 1912 or Yamaha 771 are perfectly OK. Maybe I can spend 50% more if it's really worth it.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
With your speakers I would not spend more than either the Denon 1912 or maybe up to the 2312. Any receiver higher than this really deserves better speakers than you have to get the extra benefits. Hence I would look at those 2 denons or Yamaha 671/771.

kosmik

Standard Member
PSM1 said:
With your speakers I would not spend more than either the Denon 1912 or maybe up to the 2312. Any receiver higher than this really deserves better speakers than you have to get the extra benefits. Hence I would look at those 2 denons or Yamaha 671/771.

Thanks!

I see that some people favor Denon over Yamaha sound-wise, at least for music, while feature-wise it's Yamaha is more popular. I wonder if there is a significant difference when it comes to room calibrations in these brands? Also is presence of pre-outs really makes a difference in future upgrades (add a power amp if I replace speakers at some point in the future instead of replacing the whole AVR)?

jimfrenchlab

PSM1 said:

Respectfully, I disagree. A better AVR will not hurt the sound of the current speakers & will allow them to be upgraded when desired without having to also upgrade the AVR (again). This would also offer more solutions to the multiple problems the OP listed. Speakers are usually kept longer than electronics, but increase SQ proportionally more.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I totally agree with PSM1's appraisal. There is no benefit to pairing lower budget speakers to higher budget amps. I suggest not wasting your money on anything higher than maybe a Denon AVR2312, Marantz SR6006 or a Yamaha RXV771 for use with your current speakers. If your intention is to keep the speakers and continue to use them then either the cheaper Denon AVR1912 or a YamahaRXV671 will be fine with the Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. Although you may now have difficulty acquiring either of these amps as stocks are becoming increasingly scarce.

Both Denon and Yamaha fare well in relation to their musical abilities. Both brands plus Marantz amps are commonly paired with Monitor Audio speakers.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom