Receiver Upgrade - Now, Later or do nothing?

KristopherJN

Novice Member
Hi All,

Normally I'd like to think I am pretty savvy on AV & HiFi setup's having owned several systems of different manufacturer's over the years (Teac, Denon, Yamaha, Bose, KEF). My current setup is as follows:

Speakers:
B&W 603 Front
KEF R50 Atmos Speakers on-top
B&W HTM6 S2 Centre
B&W M-1 Rear's
B&W ASW608 Sub

Source's:
QNAP NAS (only for Music)
Sky Q 2TB
Pro-Ject Audio RPM1 Carbon Turntable with MM Phone stage

Amp: Marantz SR6013

TV: OLED55E9PLA

Interconnect's: CYP Premium HDMI, Chord Rumour X Speaker Cable & Clearway SUB & RCA Phono for Turntable

Usage: I watch a fair few movies through Sky Q, Netflix & Prime. Through the SR6013 I listen to a lot of music with Tidal through HEOS, and use the Turntable reasonably regularly.

Picture quality wise I am really happy, and I have found the Marantz a step up from my previous Denon AVR-3500 when it comes to delivering a great stereo and surround experience.

However, I cant help feeling there is a more musically refined receiver out there. I have always been a big fan of Arcam (being a huge fan of British engineering and having an electronics degree) and only now because I can finally afford it, I am thinking is it time to step up a level with either a AVR20 or AVR30. But then I also see that Anthem are getting some great reviews.

Thus my query is are there some other models out there that I should be considering, or even is it worth me staying put for now? I say that as I am not fully bought into 8k just yet.

I would really welcome some opinions and thoughts?

Cheers

Kristopher

p.s. I really don't want to change my speakers's with the exception of the sub if it would make a profound difference.

alebonau

However, I cant help feeling there is a more musically refined receiver out there. I have always been a big fan of Arcam (being a huge fan of British engineering and having an electronics degree) and only now because I can finally afford it, I am thinking is it time to step up a level with either a AVR20 or AVR30. But then I also see that Anthem are getting some great reviews.
not really sure how much british engineering is going on any more :D to be honest check the arcam threads and anthem threads there is a lot of bugs and issues being talked about....

if wanting a step rom 6013 can also consider the 8012 thats on run out right now where we are and quite a few folk are picking up at great bargain... as go up the marantz ranks 2ch and music ability goes up with better dac/processing/analog stages/power supplies and power amps as well

another option for musicality is keep your 6013 and instead add a 2ch integrated with ht bypass ? many folk do this ... and pick your brand ...whether arcam, marantz, musical fidelity, rega etc you name it something for everyone and something at every budget. you should be able to pick up a really nice 2ch integrated which will match well your mains and given you what an aVR just wont with its inherent compromises :)

one example would be the made in japan marantz pm8006 which appears to be sold in the uk...

has the ht bypass ...(power direct in they call it) and will mean it works to benefit of ht as well adding on as a power amp. your two channel sources you feed into its inputs directly. being a marantz it will marry up very well with what you have sonically ... and means you can keep using what you have for av and no need to chuck out the baby with the bath water :D

Kapkirk

The Arcam Receivers will definitely give a more refined sound but are expensive. The Arcam amps I have heard have always sounded great to me, plenty of detail and very smooth. I have not actually heard the Anthem so can't comment.
If you are happy with the surround performance of the Marantz then if you wanted better music performance the only options are either to buy the best surround/audio amp you can afford like the Arcam or use a stereo audio HiFi amp preferably with HT passthrough for music in addition to your Marantz.
This is where you would connect all the surround speakers to the Marantz and the two main stereo L=R channels to the stereo amp, for music you just use the dedicated stereo amp and for surround sound you have both amps turned on with the stereo amp switched to HT Passthrough, this allows the 2 Main L=R channels (taken from the pre-out) of the marantz to be amplified by the dedicated Stereo amp.
Some people (like myself) who want the best of both worlds (without spending a small fortune) and who like good surround performance, and good stereo music reproduction will put up with the extra bit of faff in using 2 amps in order to get it.
Even the Best Surround sound receivers are not going to compare with a good 2 channel Audio amp. If it was me I'd plump for an Arcam SA20 used in conjunction with your Marantz. This would only cost you £800-1000 whereas an Arcam AV30 is going to put a dent in your finances to the tune of 5K

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom