Receiver upgrade for a 15 year old 7.1 setup. Help needed...

c0rp1

Hey everyone.

Around 15 years ago, my parents were furnishing a new apartment and my dad decided to get a home theater speaker system. I don't think he knew exactly what he was after, but at the end he went with what he could find locally at that time - a set of JAMO speakers consisting of 2 x C807 (front L and R), 2 x C803 (surrond L and R), C80 Cen (center), 2 x C80 Sur (surround back L and R) and SUB 650 (subwoofer), powered by an Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver . Definitely an expensive 7.1 setup back in the days and he was pretty happy with his purchase.

Currently me and my wife are living in that apartment and while I still consider the speakers to be good enough, I think the receiver is pretty outdated and needs to be replaced. I'm a huge headphone enthusiast and have gone through various top of the line headphones and headphone gear, but have no clue about AV receivers whatsoever, so I definitely need as much help as possible. System will be used for watching movies like 95% of the time, the rest 5% for listening to music. I have no plans for upgrading any of the speakers, nor purchasing more (for a 9.2 setup for example).

So here's where I'm at currently - I narrowed it down to two receiver brands - Marantz and Denon (other suggestions welcomed) and I plan on purchasing an used unit. Absolutely no idea which model to choose based on my needs though. My budget can go as high as a SR7010 or even SR7011, but no idea if a SR7007 wouldn't be sufficient. I'm not even sure if I need the SR7 series, when I I won't use all the channels it offers and if SR60XX or SR50XX wouldn't be the better choice money-wise. Same goes for the Denon equivalent models. Also not sure what role the JAMO speaker impedance and wattage play in all of this. It's definitely hard to go through all the spec-sheet of every single receiver, but even if I do that, I don't understand 80% of what they offer and how will it affect my user experience. I do know that I would prefer if the unit I purchase has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and is somewhat future/present-proof (although I know I'm after a 5+ older receiver), but other than that I'm totally in the dark.

I'll appreciate any advice or suggestion about what I should get and why. Thanks a lot in advance!

gibbsy

If your going to play stereo music through the receiver then I would certainly choose Marantz over the Denon. The SR7011 will give you the ability to pass through all current 4K signals with the exception of HDR10+ and should have no problem driving the Jamo speakers with a 7.1 configuration. The Marantz will also be very easy to set up and use. If you can stretch your budget for the 7011 then that would be the best option.

The Marantz will have a fairly good headphone option with a 6.35mm jack. You could also link up a headphone amp by using the Zone 2 analogue outputs. No record loop.

If you were looking at a Denon then the X4500 would be a step above the 7011 but somewhat inferior for stereo music. Has a very good processor with AL32 installed which is excellent for film will give you a bit more headroom over the 7011.

If you're not going to play stereo music through the AV amp then there's nothing really to choose between Denon and Marantz. Depends on what amps you can find.

c0rp1

If your going to play stereo music through the receiver then I would certainly choose Marantz over the Denon. The SR7011 will give you the ability to pass through all current 4K signals with the exception of HDR10+ and should have no problem driving the Jamo speakers with a 7.1 configuration. The Marantz will also be very easy to set up and use. If you can stretch your budget for the 7011 then that would be the best option.

The Marantz will have a fairly good headphone option with a 6.35mm jack. You could also link up a headphone amp by using the Zone 2 analogue outputs. No record loop.

If you were looking at a Denon then the X4500 would be a step above the 7011 but somewhat inferior for stereo music. Has a very good processor with AL32 installed which is excellent for film will give you a bit more headroom over the 7011.

If you're not going to play stereo music through the AV amp then there's nothing really to choose between Denon and Marantz. Depends on what amps you can find.
Thanks for the reply!

Listening to music would not be a priority here, so I guess either one of the suggested models should work well. I wonder what exactly would I lose if I go with a 6011 or 5011 instead of the 5011? My budget would also be enough for a 5014 for example, but I'm not sure if the 5 and 6 series are inferior in terms of sound-quality and added extras.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Stick with SR6000 or SR7000 serie and preferably buy SR6012 or SR7012 cause this range has eARC support which i think is important for future and one reason why people are now changing old receivers.

Marantz 6000 and 7000 range is equivalent to Denons 3000 and 4000 range (sister companies), usually the "sweet spot" coming with the highest version of Audussey which is audible step up from the lower version found in SR501x range!

You can also look Yamaha RX-A20x0 and RX-A30x0 models if those are available used. Yamaha is still one of the most reliable brand and only one that i would personally buy used. I`m bit skeptical of buying used electronics without warranty. But as you are doing that all i can say is buy the latest you can afford (but higher model than SR5014)!

c0rp1

Stick with SR6000 or SR7000 serie and preferably buy SR6012 or SR7012 cause this range has eARC support which i think is important for future and one reason why people are now changing old receivers.

Marantz 6000 and 7000 range is equivalent to Denons 3000 and 4000 range (sister companies), usually the "sweet spot" coming with the highest version of Audussey which is audible step up from the lower version found in SR501x range!

You can also look Yamaha RX-A20x0 and RX-A30x0 models if those are available used. Yamaha is still one of the most reliable brand and only one that i would personally buy used. I`m bit skeptical of buying used electronics without warranty. But as you are doing that all i can say is buy the latest you can afford (but higher model than SR5014)!

Got it. SR7012 is out of my price range unfortunately, so I'll have to choose something cheaper. And if I understand correctly, it would be better for me to pick the SR6012 instead of the SR5014 due to the Audyssey MultEQ XT vs XT32 difference, correct (or the Denon equivalent)?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Got it. SR7012 is out of my price range unfortunately, so I'll have to choose something cheaper. And if I understand correctly, it would be better for me to pick the SR6012 instead of the SR5014 due to the Audyssey MultEQ XT vs XT32 difference, correct (or the Denon equivalent)?

Yes correct! Yamaha RX-A1070 (7.2) or A2070 (9.2), Denon X3400H (7.2) fine options too. SR6012 is 9.2 model with 11.2 processing (7.2.4), but you said you aren´t going to be needing extra channels. These days the hype is around Atmos so you can add uprifing (modules on top of your main and surround channels), on/in-ceiling overhead and front/side wall height channels.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I think the receiver is pretty outdated and needs to be replaced’ - only if you are also changing the source devices and TV to 4K capable devices as otherwise not much sense in changing out the AVR.

Joe

c0rp1

I think the receiver is pretty outdated and needs to be replaced’ - only if you are also changing the source devices and TV to 4K capable devices as otherwise not much sense in changing out the AVR.

Joe

Source devices have been changed multiple times through these years, yes. Also the TV is a 2019 model, so I feel like such upgrade is mandatory.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I would be wary of your expectations as whilst you will gain support for new video formats and some audio formats via HDMI you may not gain a significant difference in what you hear if you go too low down the AVR market.

Joe

c0rp1

I would be wary of your expectations as whilst you will gain support for new video formats and some audio formats via HDMI you may not gain a significant difference in what you hear if you go too low down the AVR market.

Joe

May I ask what do you mean by "go too low"? What would be considered a down/side-grade to the RX 2700 in terms of sound quality?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yamaha RX-A20x0 would be similar level to V2700. From Denon 4000 range probably quite close although Yamaha is bit more powerfull and for Marantz 7000 serie. But looking the manufacturer specs and real world measurements there is like 10w difference the two ranges (Denon/Marantz) which doesn´t make any difference for you really. That´s why you see Denon 3000 range and Marantz 6000 range being very popular all over world as i said the "sweet spot" really. They also handle 4ohm loads without issue. In apartment you also use moderate listening levels and i wouldn´t be suprised if it would sound better in some ways as the Audussey is more effective in certain areas than YPAO on your V2700. Hope you find SR6012 or perhaps Denon X4400H.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sources - what do you use?

AVR - as Gasp3621 highlights the various manufacturers have a pretty static hierarchy of models within their ‘year’ range and whilst each year will see new/different features added to the processing side of an AVR the overall quality of the models within the range stays pretty similar so where you drop a step or two down the range to gain new features you run the risk of an overall drop in sound quality.

Only your ears will confirm if you have made a good choice so where possible a home trial of any AVR you plan to purchase would be helpful.

Joe

c0rp1

Sources - what do you use?

AVR - as Gasp3621 highlights the various manufacturers have a pretty static hierarchy of models within their ‘year’ range and whilst each year will see new/different features added to the processing side of an AVR the overall quality of the models within the range stays pretty similar so where you drop a step or two down the range to gain new features you run the risk of an overall drop in sound quality.

Only your ears will confirm if you have made a good choice so where possible a home trial of any AVR you plan to purchase would be helpful.

Joe

Thanks for the insight. My Yamaha is connected to a 65' LG C9 OLED TV. Sources are several:
  1. For TV content there's an IPTV Set top box (some channels are 4K), but soon it will be replaced by a TV app (my provider is doing some updates to his network so all the TV content will be available through an app, directly from the TV).
  2. PS4, which will soon be upgraded to a PS5 (hopefully).
  3. Youtube APP from the TV :)
  4. MKV files from a flash drive (movies, clips etc)

A follow-up question if I may. Will there be a significant difference in sound quality if we compare Marantz SR70XX with a SR60XX from the same year (or AVR-X4X00 with a AVR-X3X00)? Unfortunately there's no way to do a home trial.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
A follow-up question if I may. Will there be a significant difference in sound quality if we compare Marantz SR70XX with a SR60XX from the same year (or AVR-X4X00 with a AVR-X3X00)? Unfortunately there's no way to do a home trial.

No, should sound very much same cause they share most internal components and same version of Audussey! The 4000 and 7000 range adds few extra features like Auro 3D which are usefull if you would speakers.. Just buy the latest model from any of those 4 models if you want D&M over Yamaha. Marantz has the tiny rounded front display where as Denon shows you more information. Always bit risky to buy used, hopefully it has been used in open space - not inside tight unit as these receivers get hotter and need good ventilation to have a long life.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Sources - if you connect via the TV and want to ensure any new AVR has the latest and greatest audio options you will want an AVR which supports eARC, if you go with a legacy AVR with ARC connectivity there is not much to choose between ARC and Optical Out on the TV.

ARC can be a pain as it relies on CEC which can be a hassle with some kit combinations.

One option to consider would be an HDMI Switch which can pass the full 4K UHD/HDR/HDCP2.2 video to your TV plus, with your sources set to LPCM, send HD audio via HDMI to your current AVR.

Describing ‘sound’ is very difficult - you have a pretty balanced ’looking’ system and replacing the AVR with something ‘lower cost’ to gain new features may work or may result in sound you are less happy with, only you can judge that one.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom