Receiver upgrade and HD audio formats Vs speaker upgrade?

Bascombe

Hello, just looking for opinions /experiences. I've got a 5 speaker set up with a Yamaha rxv677 connected to a Panasonic 50dz802b. Speakers are q acoustics 3020 front, 3010 rear, 3090 centre. I had been looking at a new amp in order to benefit from HD audio formats and HDR (amp can pass thru 4k but not HDR, so retaining the latter involves connecting source to TV and then audio over arc or optical to amp). I'm also interested in Dolby Atmos virtual, and a bit of future proofing re. Hdmi formats (current 2.1 issues aside) wouldn't hurt. But after looking at reviews of the q acoustics 3030, I'm wondering if a speaker upgrade might be a more affordable upgrade. I know it's all very subjective and hard to quantify, but what are folks thoughts regarding the improvement associated with newer audio formats Vs better speakers? And does anyone have experience of virtual Atmos: does it make an appreciable difference?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd not concern yourself about the speakers. THey'll be fine as long as youaren't planning on buying a flagship AVR.

The speakers will still be a valid option even if partnering them with a more recent comparable model to that which you already own. You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between current Q Acoustics speakers and the versions of them that preceded them. Spend the money on the AV receiver.

Note that apart from Atmos, the audio formats are basically the same formats your current AV receiver can handle. They'd be no better in terms of quality, bitrate or sample frequency.

Virtual height will sound different, but will not create what you'd expect to experience if using physical speakers. The best option is still to install ceiling speakers if wanting to get the best Atmos performance. A slightly less effective but more convenient option would be to utilise upward firing speakers and bounce the Atmos audio effects off the ceiling. The last option is to use height speakers mounted on the front and or back walls, but this will be a compromised seup and will not portray overhead effects as effectively as you'd experience if using ceiling or upward firing speakers.

Last edited:

Bascombe

Cheers Dante, that's useful input. I'm aware that my current receiver supports the same range of formats (bar Atmos), if it could pass thru HDR I'd probably be happy to stick with it for a while yet!

shug4476

The speakers will benefit from a better amp.

I personally do not think the formats rat race is worth joining and just equates to continual expense. The best bang for your buck would come from adding a power amp to your Yamaha, in my opinion. Your speakers will thank you!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The speakers will benefit from a better amp.

I personally do not think the formats rat race is worth joining and just equates to continual expense. The best bang for your buck would come from adding a power amp to your Yamaha, in my opinion. Your speakers will thank you!
His current AV receiver doesn't facilitate the use of an external amp for powering the main room speakers and only has pre outs for a sub and a second audio zone.

Bascombe

Hello, just thought I'd provide a bit of closure in relation to this, in case it is of use to others. After taking a breath to consider the options, and looking over the original rxv677 owners thread, I ended up ordering an Orei audio extractor, which lets me split the hdmi signal from the xbox one s to send picture to the tv (preserving hdr) and audio straight to the avr (preserving hd audio formats). Done some brief testing and all seems to be working as expected, fingers crossed it continues as such. Next issue is how to best incorporate an old nad 302 stereo amp that will be connected to a turntable (maybe using the pre-amp only stage of the nad and linking it to the avr via a source input? other option might be the Beresford amp switcher), but thats an issue for another day!

Last edited:

gibbsy

If wanting to use the same front left and right speakers you would need to use the Beresford 7220 as the Yamaha doesn't have the requisite pre-outs and NAD has no HT by-pass. The Beresford is well respected and will not degrade audio.

Bascombe

Cheers for that, I had been wondering whether, because you can separate the pre and power amp stages of the nad, that it might be an option to just run leads from the pre-amp outs into one of the analogue inputs on the avr, but I'll freely admit to being a bit confused by it all! Thank you for the advice.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom