Receiver upgrade and atmos speakers

wrinkly ninja

Standard Member
I want to upgrade my setup. I currently have a Sony strdn 1000 av receiver with tannoy Mercury 7.2 speakers in a 5.1 setup. I want to upgrade my receiver to an atmos one and get some atmos speakers to go with my tannoys. Does anyone have any recommendations for either the receiver or speakers? My front setup is in the pic with matching speaker directly behind my sofa.

Attachments

• 20210926_172619.jpg
    20210926_172619.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

gibbsy

I would go for another Sony with Atmos in mind because of the limitations set by Sony on speaker positioning and the only Sony AV amp is the now almost four year old 1080. The direct replacement on a tier level would be the Denon AVR X2700 which would give you a 5.1.2 Atmos layout as a maximum with no limitations on set up.

You do really have to give members a working budget for the amp certainly and what kind of speakers you want to use. Up firing speakers will give you ability to position on top of your front left and right (which is what I use) or to use them high on the front wall by using the keyhole fittings or the best option of inceiling speakers.

So we need to know. Budget and what type of speakers is required.

wrinkly ninja

Standard Member
I would go for another Sony with Atmos in mind because of the limitations set by Sony on speaker positioning and the only Sony AV amp is the now almost four year old 1080. The direct replacement on a tier level would be the Denon AVR X2700 which would give you a 5.1.2 Atmos layout as a maximum with no limitations on set up.

You do really have to give members a working budget for the amp certainly and what kind of speakers you want to use. Up firing speakers will give you ability to position on top of your front left and right (which is what I use) or to use them high on the front wall by using the keyhole fittings or the best option of inceiling speakers.

So we need to know. Budget and what type of speakers is required.
I would say budget is £400-£800 max for amp and upto £300 max for the speakers. Speakers would need to be uprising too for placement on fronts.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I would say budget is £400-£800 max for amp and upto £300 max for the speakers. Speakers would need to be uprising too for placement on fronts.

Does your ceiling meet the below requirements and do you sit about 2-3meters away from front speakers?

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

If you answer yes for both then consider example these two (MA has keyholes for wall mounting too):

Or if you can use peace of receiver budget then Kef Q50a which has keyholes at back if you later on get a chance to wall mount them high up as height channels. Just in case if you are underwhelmed of the "bounce" effect. Your ceiling won´t come alive.

front-jpg.2592230

For av-receiver depending do you require the latest connections (hdmi 2.1), if not then you could get 2019 Denon model:

If you want the latest receiver with newest connections then X2700H with 6year warranty:

wrinkly ninja

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies.
I would want hdmi 2.1 as I would plan to keep the next receiver for a while so would need to accommodate a TV upgrade in the future.
Both distances for ceiling and front speakers fit those specs.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies.
I would want hdmi 2.1 as I would plan to keep the next receiver for a while so would need to accommodate a TV upgrade in the future.
Both distances for ceiling and front speakers fit those specs.

No issue then if it´s flat too and made from those materials mentioned. Popcorn ceiling not ideal or similar.

Sounds like X2700H is way to go then with your budget. Shame the prices are so high atm, but if you want it right away then no way around it. Try to get some discount if you buy receiver and speakers together. Normal warranty is 2years for Denon in UK so Peter Tyson and Richer Sounds (if you are VIP) gives 6years.

Just ask them to check that it`s built from May..

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom