Receiver upgrade advice

brett174

Novice Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster hoping to get some advice on deciding between the Yamaha rx-v685 and Sony str-dn1080. Feature and spec wise they look almost identical, the Yamaha is probably a good $150 or more cheaper from what I've seen so far (I'm in Australia). I've spent weeks trawling through reviews and forum posts and it does seem like the Sony is more highly regarded though. I've ruled out another Denon as they seem to be pretty expensive here, the 2500h is priced higher than both than Yamaha & Sony models above and from what I've read would need to look at the 3500 series before it is match.

It will be replacing a 7 year old entry level Denon 1612 which I've been pretty happy with (especially for movies), but has always seemed a bit dull for some reason when playing PS4 Pro games. I plan on getting a new 4k TV in the next 6-12 months and would also be keen to try out Dolby Atmos (looking at purchasing some cheap $250 Pioneer upfiring speakers, so not a proper ceiling 5.1.4 solution by any means).

The room I'm in is approx 4.5 x 4m and main use as above will be for movies/tv shows and PS4 gaming, I really don't listen to much music. It will be paired with Paradigm monitor 7 fronts, Centre 1 and the atom monitor surrounds, which I also got 7 years ago and a Richter Krakatoa 10" sub. Think I paid around $2300 all up, so definitely not high end speakers but hoping a new receiver will give atleast a noticeable improvement in sound quality whilst having all the latest features.

If your looking at Atmos then the Sony cannot implement DTS:X Neural via ceiling speakers for what ever reason best known to Sony. This has to be taken into consideration as Neural:X is a very good upmixing audio especially with those blu ray discs that have DTS HD tracks.

Other than that both units are very similar. You should try and get an audition with each unit.

^^^^^ :).

Long time reader, first time poster hoping to get some advice on deciding between the Yamaha rx-v685 and Sony str-dn1080. Feature and spec wise they look almost identical, the Yamaha is probably a good $150 or more cheaper from what I've seen so far (I'm in Australia). I've spent weeks trawling through reviews and forum posts and it does seem like the Sony is more highly regarded though. I've ruled out another Denon as they seem to be pretty expensive here, the 2500h is priced higher than both than Yamaha & Sony models above and from what I've read would need to look at the 3500 series before it is match.

It will be replacing a 7 year old entry level Denon 1612 which I've been pretty happy with (especially for movies), but has always seemed a bit dull for some reason when playing PS4 Pro games. I plan on getting a new 4k TV in the next 6-12 months and would also be keen to try out Dolby Atmos (looking at purchasing some cheap $250 Pioneer upfiring speakers, so not a proper ceiling 5.1.4 solution by any means).

The room I'm in is approx 4.5 x 4m and main use as above will be for movies/tv shows and PS4 gaming, I really don't listen to much music. It will be paired with Paradigm monitor 7 fronts, Centre 1 and the atom monitor surrounds, which I also got 7 years ago and a Richter Krakatoa 10" sub. Think I paid around $2300 all up, so definitely not high end speakers but hoping a new receiver will give atleast a noticeable improvement in sound quality whilst having all the latest features.

Additionally, the STR-DN1080 is a 7 chan AVR so you wouldn't be able to get the 5.1.4 you mentioned in your post, just 5.1.2.

Otherwise, I use a DN1080 with some DALI Alteco upfirers in a very similar room size & it works quite well. I occasionally use it for music but I purchased the AVR primarily for use with a 4K TV, & Sky Sat TV, 4K media players & an Xbox One X. It does an excellent job for the money :).

One or two very minor criticisms but no complaints :).

Happy hunting.

Was looking at the Yamaha rx-v685 or pioneer vsx933 myself your right receiverr here in Australia cost way more. Swaying more towards the pioneer vsx933 can be had for about $600- $650 also does dts x and atmos which i was looking at adding to my system

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom