Question Receiver Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by djtex, Dec 30, 2017.

1. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a new LG OLED TV and in order to take advantage of the 4K HDR functionality etc, I will need to change my AV Receiver - currently a Yamaha RX-V775. However, I am finding a real lack of options on the market and not sure what to go with for the best as my current setup is slightly complicated.

Currently the 775 manages all video sources, but only provides amplification to the centre and rears, and sends signal to the Sub. The front pair are fed by the pre-outs and use a Cyrus Amp running in AV mode. I also have CD Player and Sonos being sent to the Cyrus, whilst a record player uses the phono stage on the 775 before again using the pre-outs to send to the Cyrus.

I don't want to lose any of my sources, but only Receivers I can find that do everything are the Yamaha Aventage 870 or the Marantz SR7011 at vaguely sensible money. Seems everyone has removed Pre-Outs from their machines now.

I would love to simplify the system if I could not just in terms of wiring but also aesthetically, but I can't see a way of having the best of all worlds like I do now in terms of a decent Stereo combined with quality for TV & Movies.

Can anyone suggest anything to help?

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    I think you have summed up the situation pretty well! The outgoing Marantz SR7011 is a good deal at its cut down price. And you will get a better music experience if you use a 2 channel amp with HT bypass, as you are doing.

The Marantz SR7011 actually sounds pretty good for music, it uses HDAM in it's pre-amp section, and when I went from a Denon 6300 to a Marantz SR7011, the improvement with music was quite noticeable. However, I still added a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp and use HT bypass with that, as that sounds even better, and I thought it was worth the extra expense and hassle. I don't know how your Cyrus amp would compare to the Marantz SR7011, but you might find the Marantz is good enough.

However, there are workarounds that you could use to save you having to change your AVR at all. You could connect your 4K / HDR sources to the TV and pass the audio through the TV to your current AVR, or split the audio out separately from the source. Most (maybe all) UHD players have dual HDMI outputs for this exact purpose.

3. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the most helpful reply. I had considered what you suggest about connecting the 4k sources to the TV, but that will prove very problematic as the TV is wall mounted and all cables are buried in the wall so I'm sort of resigned to the AVR replacement.

One question I do have though is whether I would be missing any functionality for future with the SR7011 as it's last years model when compared to the latest stuff from Yamaha or indeed the vastly more expensive SR7012?

Many thanks once again, I'm most grateful.

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    There are not a lot of changes to this years models over last years (now much cheaper) ones. The main two would be eARC, and Auro 3D.

Auro 3D is a paid for upgrade, around £150, on the SR7011 but comes as standard with the SR7012. Enhanced ARC (eARC) could be a useful feature if your TV also supports it. It allows for HD audio to be transmitted from the TV to the AVR via the HDMI ARC cable.

5. djtex

djtex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In which case the 7011 would be fine, my TV doesn't do eARC and it's extremely unlikely I'll take advantage of AURO 3D. I think that might be decision made.

Many thanks again :)