1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver to TV problem, please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by samsuka, Nov 13, 2003.

1. samsuka

samsuka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I have just taken the plunge and bought a starter AV setup, and really really happy with it, i never realised how great home cinema sounds, i thought my tv speakers were good but even with a budget receiver and budget speakers it sounds amazing.

However i have one small problem.

Firstly i have a Sony STRDB790 6:1 receiver, Sony KV-36FS76U TV , Sony DVD, Sony Video & Wharfdale Moviestar 60+ surround speakers. As a tuner its great, and connected to my DVD player with a Coaxial digital cord it sounds fantastic. So there seems to be no problem with the speakers.

However i also hooked it up to the TV using an Audio Cord (red/white) as this is all (apart from 4 scarts) that my tv has, but it sounds bad through the receiver and speakers. The receiver has to be turned way up to listen to the tv at normal volume and i can hear lots of background noise, if i switch straight over to tuner or dvd the same sound level also blows my eardrums, so its sounds like its trying to hard to get any sound out of the TV.

Can anyone help, i am new to this so speak slowly:) but is there a better way of getting a good signal from my TV to my receiver, so that it sounds more natural.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sam

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    This sounds strange. I have a 780 (an earlier version of your 790) and I find that sound from my TV sounds louder than from my DVD player (Toshiba 220) when the amp is set to the same volume. What mode on the amp are you listening to the TV in - is it ProLogic II (PLII)? You may have the amp set to something else which may not sound as good as PLII. Also, have you checked that the phono cables (red/white audio cable) are fully pushed into the amp and the TV - this may aslo be your problem.

Let me know how you get on...

Cheers

3. samsuka

samsuka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It turned out to be a combination of my inexperience and a cheap old phono cables that i had floating about. I replaced the latter with something decent.

The rest i fixed by maxxing out the setting (after phoning up Sony) on my headphones/output setting on my TV which was only set half way. Live and learn but thanks for the reply electroylyte.

4. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    no probs, pleased to hear that you've sorted it out.