1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver to drive big speakers, no demo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kobus, May 26, 2005.

1. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a serious problem and need your urgent help.

Firtsly where I stay we cannot demo stuff easily. Secondly I have B&W803 + HTM1 speakers to drive, rated 50-250 watt. I have overspent on the above, but picked them up 1 year old from a friend at a very good price.I imagine to drive them properly I will eventually end up with processor / power amp.

I am 33/33/33 split between movies/music cd's/music dvd's(live shows).

I have done a lot of research here and elsewhere and a choice between Pioneer axa5, Denon 3805 & Marantz 8500. If I have to convert our prices to pounds, they cost respectively 725, 960 & 1125. (Rands 8700,11500,13500).

What I gather from all the research is:
    They all have the power.
    Pioneer have i-link.
    Marantz dvi switching.
    Pioneer not so good with music.
    The other two good all round.

Now, will any of them drive my speakers better than the other.
    If they say the pio is not so good with music, does it include music DVD's (ie live shows etc).
    Consider the price diffs.

Please help me and the other that do not have the luxury of demo's.

Thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It might also be worth considering the Nad and Rotel offerings that are around that price range. A "cheap" receiver combined with a power amp may also be worth considering, the second hand market is generally excellent for power amps.

From what you've listed, I don't think that the Denon will be up to the job. In fact, none of them are really up to the job although you won't be risking any damage with those units. Marantz is my choice of flavour - the Pioneer has a definitely brighter sound which many consider to be movie-orientated. :)

3. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

i just looked at the marantz and it look pretty good, the ones i am looking at are the pioneer, denon which u have in your list and yamaha 2500 have a look at this also, i really looking at the denon and yamaha, as not many peeps recommend the pioneer,

i am new to this also, so just passing on info from wha i have heard

i will look more into the marantz now as i have seen it as it has dvi-d and so does my dlp tv

see the denon, pioneer, yamaah link - as i am alway asking questions, and the responce i got was fab, every1 really helps and i have learnt quite abit and still ongoing, especially now i have seen the marantz

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Agree with Evil's recommendation.

I don't know if the brand is available in South Africa, but the Harman Kardon AVR8500 would also be worth investigation.

5. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the replies.
    I wil l check out the other options as well.

But please tell me, if they say that the pioneer is not that good with music, what exactly do they mean. Is it marginal or what?. (assuming music will be fed via i-link)

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    The Denon wouod not be up to the job, most of its power ratings are with only one channel driven. With all 7 channels driven its RMS output is near to 30 WPC, woefully inadequate for the B&Ws.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Whilst I wouldnt want any one to base their decisions purely on what I say without listening to the equipment themselves......

I would doubt that any of the listed AVRs will get the most out of the speakers you have bought and would look at power amps to drive them.

The Denon I would say is much more movie orientated in sound and is not as good as some others at music.

8. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the ideal is power amps and will propably add some soon, but I suppose I can add them to any of the chosen AVR's at a later stage. (am I right)

1. Comments on the pioneer please.
    2. Are these AVR's good as processors, ie to add poweramps to at a later stage.

Help, I must order next week.

9. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Here comes my Pioneer story, it's AX-5Ai not AX-5i
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173170

I'm using the Pio. AX-5Ai drive 2 sets of speakers, Celestion SL-6Si & Elac 5.1.

I used to use Audiolab 8000C+P for SL-6Si but now I'm using the Pio. & it is doing a great job. And for 803, although it's big, it has a much higher sensitivity (89-90 db) compare to SL-6Si (82-83 db).

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Kobus,

There is no way any of those amps will drive your 800 speakers effectivley. I know that the harman/kardon 8500 could, as can the top of the line Yamahas and Nad/Rotel amps. Denon A1SR I have heard struggle with some KEF ref speakers, so I wouldn't like to try it.

Russell

11. cxzxswsw

cxzxswsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok yes

12. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kobus

Coming from SA as well I know the dilemma you may be facing. If you can, get to Signals at Canal walk and check out the Rotel RMB 1095 or RMB 1075 multichannel power amps, or to start, look at the Rotel RB 1080 2 channel power amp. I am more than likely going to get of these to drive my pair of KEF ref 201's and let my receiver do the other channels. I demoed the RB 1080 here in Durban and was VERY impressed with it.

Also I have noticed that Rotel and B&W have a good 'understanding' and all the brochures on Rotel I have seen have got B&W speakers in them.

Skinny

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think that Rotel make all the amps for B&W's active speakers. Could be wrong, now, but I was told this by a Rotel Rep whilst visiting a Hifi shop a while back.

Russell

15. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kobus

In addition to the amps I mentioned earlier also consider the RB 1090, a 2X 380 W amp that will definately get your B&W's going ;) !!! Retails in SA for approx R22000-00 (GBP 1800.00)

http://www.mad.co.za/stockists.htm for a list of local stockists

skinny

16. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    Can these Rotel poweramps can be added to the Axa5i at a later stage.

17. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, most current entry level amps offer this facility