1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Switching Picture Quality

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bix, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been searching across the forums for a definitive answer on this but have found a lot of conflicticting advice and got arguaments either side.

In october I am getting the new Pioneer 436XDE & AX4 Receiver. I'll have a few sources to connect to the system so was hoping to use the switching capability of the Amp for convenience.

I'll have:

A Network Media box (NetCap when it gets ordered) on component out
    DVD player (Pioneer 868 on HDMI)
    SKY+ (Maybe through a JS box into component)
    DVD Recorder

I know the media box of the Plasma has loads of inputs but I was hoping to use the receiver to switch.

Would I lose that much picture quality in doing so?
    Does sky RGB -> Component lose any quality (I have seen reports on here that the JS box works well)?
    Will switching hdmi through the receiver alter the quality or will it be bit for bit transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Bix.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    wont reduce quality at all for hdmi and the difference will be non-existent/not noticeable for analogue sources (on an amp that high in the range, for my poor azur the bandwidth is too low for progressive signals :()

you shouldn't see a negative difference with the RGB>YUV, if anything it will look better!

3. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the advice, will switch through the amo then, convenience it the winner!