• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiver/Subwoofer help

navyvet

Novice Member
I would great appreciate some assistance. I have an older Sony home theater surround sound receiver I’ve been using for quite some time. I’ve been given by a friend, after he upgraded to a new receiver, his old one, which is better, and newer than the one I’m currently using. Now the problem I have, I’m going to use my current surround speakers with the new receiver, but the subwoofer I have does not use an rca plug, it is just 2 wires, red and black, the connect to the old receiver, and the subwoofer is not powered. The new receiver does not use the 2 wire, red, and black to connect, it uses a subwoofer preout rca jack. Is there some way I can use my old subwoofer with the new receiver?
Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Gori11a

You would need to buy an amp to power the old sub. Probably the simplest, cheaper and best solution would be to buy a budget active subwoofer.
I'm guessing your old kit was an all in one box system. With a passive sub.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I agree with @Gori11a

I'd also suggest there's a possibility your speakers might be some weird low impedance speakers specifically for the surround system. There should be a label on the back of each speaker giving at a minimum an impedance rating in ohms. What does it say?

navyvet

Novice Member
Thanks for your assistance and feedback! My current(older) receiver is a Sony STR-K790. The newer receiver I want to use is a Yamaha RX-V465. I checked my current surround sound speakers that came packaged with the Sony receiver, and they are all rated at 6 ohms.

Note: I just went online and looked at the manual for the Yamaha receiver and it has an advanced setup that will let me select 6 ohm impedance for the speakers...

Any ideas on where I can purchase a budget active subwoofer, as suggested above, so that I can put this all together and use it?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The speakers with the 6ohm impedance should be fine if used with the Yamaha receiver, but you'll need an active sub as opposed to the passive model you currently use. It would be either this or a matter of buying a power amp with which to power the passive sub with.

Gori11a

Thanks for your assistance and feedback! My current(older) receiver is a Sony STR-K790. The newer receiver I want to use is a Yamaha RX-V465. I checked my current surround sound speakers that came packaged with the Sony receiver, and they are all rated at 6 ohms.

Note: I just went online and looked at the manual for the Yamaha receiver and it has an advanced setup that will let me select 6 ohm impedance for the speakers...

Any ideas on where I can purchase a budget active subwoofer, as suggested above, so that I can put this all together and use it?
Not sure what your budget is but here is a recommendation for the lower end money wise. Yamaha NSSW050 (Black)
I guessing from what you've written so far you don't want to throw too much money at it.

navyvet

Novice Member
Thanks for your suggestions, I ended up finding a really good deal on a factory refurbished full set of Yamaha surround speakers including Subwoofer, for only $109
YAMAHA NS-SP1800

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom